Chapter Three

*one month later*

"Hello darling," I greeted my girlfriend with a kiss on the cheek and she smiled warmly.

I had begun to hang out with her crowd more and more. I was friends with the partiers and so was Cameron. The weird thing about it is that I liked it. A lot.

I attend a party at least once every weekend and have already been underage drinking, which turned out to be way better than expected. Life felt so surreal and better than it ever had been.

The times I have come home drunk my parents have been so disappointed in me, but I didn't care. It was what I liked now. I also loved Emma, and nothing could keep me from her, even if it meant getting into the wrong crowd and abandoning my good grades and perfect record. High school kids should be able to have fun.

"Hey babe," she greeted back. The guy named Jake at our table sent her a dark glare and she smirked smugly towards him. Others rolled their eyes but I refused to think anything of it. They were probably annoyed that I was dating the most gorgeous and amazing girl in the world and they weren't.

By the time the bell rang, Cameron and I had begun walking off to class already. I said my farewell to Emma with a simple kiss on the cheek.

"So you and Emma?" Cam blew out a breath it seemed as if he had been holding in. He brushed his brown hair back from his forehead.

I shifted uncomfortably. "Yeah, I mean what's new? We've been together." I looked away from his worried and sympathetic gaze. "Is something wrong?"

This time he was the one avoiding my gaze. "I don't think you know her as well as you think you do." He trailed off.

"Don't be ridiculous," I rolled my eyes.

"I'm serious bro!" He said. "I'm only trying to look after you,"

"I don't need a babysitter," I spat. "I like Emma and she likes me. End of story. Don't try and ruin the happiness I have that you lack." I finished and walked away.

"Matt! Please listen!" He called after me but I didn't listen, even though I should have.

•••••

I walked into the large house where music was already blaring and probably waking up the sleeping children in China. These parties couldn't be any louder than they were. The best to the music seemed to vibrate the floor at a steady pace and literally make your ears buzz like there were one thousand bees surrounding your head. And I loved it.

I decided to keep my distance from Cameron. I know he's trying to look out for me but this time he's wrong. Emma is amazing. She's perfect, beautiful, kind, caring, everything a guy could ask for. There's nothing wrong with her or our relationship.

I spotted Michael and Trey talking across the living room where multitudes of teens were grinding up against each other to the beat of the extremely loud music. I cringed at all of them who didn't really have a significant other to be with and cherish like I did. They had to come to parties like this (not saying I don't like the parties, they're amazingly fun) and dance with some person they found on the same night. Sucks for them.

By the time I neared them Trey had already disappeared. I approached Michael, but couldn't avoid practically swimming through sweaty grinding bodies.

"Hey," I called out to him. His eyes shot up in my direction and they filled with worry instantly. He nodded toward me as a greeting, but wouldn't meet my confused gaze. "Have you, uh, seen Emma by any chance? I haven't spotted her yet."

He looked around fidgeting. "No," he said shaking his head sadly. "I'm sorry."

Something told me that the sorry had more meaning behind it than apologizing for not seeing her.

"Thanks?" I called out as he scurried away, practically pouring out the contents of his cup in the rush. What's his problem?

Something weird is definitely going on and I need to get to the bottom of it.

I looked around for Cameron. I finally came to my senses and decided that I needed to know what the hell he was talking about earlier. Was something going on with Emma?

I finally saw him walking up the staircase alone, maybe to go to the bathroom or something of the sort. I quickly swam through the body of people again, trying not to lose eyesight of him.

I rushed up the stairs and began opening random doors to find him when I didn't see him at first.

Where did he go?

I opened a door at the end of the hall to find something that I wish I hadn't.

"Emma?" I asked, staring blankly at her on top of a shirtless guy, clothes strewn in various places around the room. The sight made me sick. This had to be some sort of disgusting joke. The worst part about it is that she laughed at my reaction. She covered her mouth to confine the giggles spewing out. Another terrible part was that she wasn't even drunk. I could simply tell by looking at her. When she was drunk you could see the cloudiness in her eyes, and yet they were clear as day.

"How could you?" I finally stuttered out.

"Jack, some time please?" She winked and he nodded, grabbing his shirt and pushing past me.

"What the hell is going on?" I fumed. Hurt, anger, frustration, and every other negative emotion you could thing of coursed through me. I could feel my face turning red in not even anger anymore, but heartbreak.

"Baby," she cooed, smiling at the end. "Don't take it seriously. We were never dating."

"What are you talking about?" I forced out, trying not to crack and break down in front of her. She doesn't deserve anything from me.

"It was just a damn joke. A dare kinda. They didn't think I could get you to date me and open up to me and shit." She giggled, throwing on her shirt. "But then they like tried to get me to stop because they liked you or something. I mean what the hell? Who likes you? You're so annoying!" She was cracking up now. "Anyway, it was nice having whatever the hell I had with you but you can get away from me now."

I stood there in complete shock, unable to muster up any form of sound.

Is this what heartbreak is like? Feeling so much that you could hardly feel at all?

"Don't look so sad about it." She fake pouted, teasing me. "I mean I hope you never thought someone like you could be with someone like me." She smirked, gesturing to herself.

I stormed out of the room, out of the house, onto the street, into my house, into my room, and broke everything I saw.