| Chapter Thirty-Three

I start running towards the screaming and panted while running. I hadn't run in years — only walked for days — because runs are only necessary when I runaway from something or someone. In six years, I have struggled myself in countless ways in stealing stuff from humans or other dogs. My condition is not very well, but surprisingly, I could still manage to run as fast as when I was little. Those were the golden days.
"Don't kill him, please!" I heard someone begging.
"Your mate will die!" Devil's voice screeched.
"Stop!" I yelled, jumping over some bushes and in front of a meadow I have once been to, when I was out with Will a long time ago. I saw a blueish colored wolf, with red, white and black patterns standing with his tail between his legs. His red eyes were giving away how submissive he was in front of his attacker. This red-blue-white-black wolf was standing before a dark blue wolf with icy blue eyes. His body was covered with his own blood. Even from standing here, I could see the wolf was dead.
"W-who are you?" the red-eyed wolf asked me, stuttering. "Do you belong to him?!" He then pointed at Devil, who was grinning from ear to ear over the crime he had committed here in the Randar Forests.
I moved forward and growled at Devil. "Finally!" I said. "After six years I get to find you! Are you finally ready for a real battle?"
Devil grinned and pinned me down. "Don't you dare talk to me like that, fierce Oakleaf," he said, chuckling evilly. "You know nothing about me." Then, without attacking me, injuring me, or even attempting to hit me, he ran off. That was easy.
Yet, I couldn't understand why Devil hadn't attempted to fight me. He had ran off just like that, but why? The memories hidden away in my mind were not comparable with what I was experiencing now. Was Devil getting old? Was he sick and wouldn't be able to fight me? What was the reason for this unnatural decision of his? I turned to the red-blue-black-white wolf and watched him standing above the dark blue wolf. "Are you okay?" I asked.
The wolf looked up and shook his head. "H-he was my mate... I loved him!" He sat down beside his mate and placed his chin on the dark blue wolf's neck, burying his snout in the neck fur of his mate. "Coral meant everything to me..." Then he suddenly looked up to me and asked, "What are you doing here? Why did you save me? Who are you?"
"Okay, okay, calm down!" I said, trying to make the wolf comfortable by distancing myself from him. "If you want me to leave, just tell me, instead of yelling and ranting at me, which takes a lot more energy and skills of improvisation to get the right ranting words for it. You know, I am professional venter and ranter, so if you want to rant, then ask me to..."
The wolf growled at me and bared his teeth.
"Guess that's a 'go away' then..." I scoffed. I sighed and left. I went back to the streets of Mancaster and sighed again. And that is what happens when I help others. "Why can't he just thank me?"
Some wolves aren't born as kind and helping as you, Will's voice suddenly replied in my head.
"Yeah, you are definitely right!" I exclaimed in acted surprise. So much for Will "helping" me too... "Thanks for helping me find the meaning behind your clue, by the way." Sarcasm.
It's not me who needs to find meaning in life, Will suddenly said.
"Can't you just give me another hint? A simple one?" I asked, whining. It would really much easier if he could give me proper instructions on what to do.
Will was quiet for a moment, as if I had scolded him for a crime. Then he said, Listen to Sage's favorite song. You will know how to defeat him.
"By Mott's toenails, what is that supposed to mean, Will?" I looked around and noticed Will was gone. Again. "Stupid Spirits with their stupid clues." I looked up to the sky and mumbled, "I hate you, Will. I curse you with every breath I exhale. Why did you have to die?"
"Because it was meant to be," someone behind me replied.
I jumped up. I could commit a crime. "For my sake, could you not appear in all of sudden?" I asked, turning around and seeing Sage standing right behind me.
"You were talking to someone," Sage simply said. "Who was it?"
"Nobody special," I reacted coldly. I walked over to him and quickly explained my situation and the thing with Will. Then I walked towards him while looking him deeply in the eyes, and asked, "Sage, what's your favorite song?"
Sage took a step back. The way I was walking up to him was an act of aggressive dominance wolves only show when challenging someone or in for a good fight. He frowned and asked, "Are you insane? Yes, you are. Why do you ask for my song taste?"
"Answer the damn question!" I yelled.
"It's Take On Me!" Sage yelled back.
I raised one eyebrow and took the steps back I had taken into his direction. I watched him exhale the breath he had been holding and smiled. "Was that so hard?" I asked.
Sage shook his head in confused fear.
"Sing it," I ordered.
"Wait, hold up, I can't just..."
"I'm waiting."
"Okay, okay!" Sage said. Then he mumbled under his breath, "First thing she does is asking me what my favorite song is, next thing she does is forcing me to sing it. Pft." I gave him a meaningful look and Sage threw his head back before he exclaimed, "Okay, okay! Calm down, I'm going to already!"

Talking away
I don't know what
I'm to say, I'll say it anyway
     Today's another day to find you
     Shying away
     I'll be coming for your love, okay?

Take on me
Take me on
I'll be gone in a day or two

So needless to say
I'm odds and ends
But I'll be stumbling away
     Slowly learning that life is okay
     Say after me
     It's no better to be safe than sorry

Take on me
Take me on
I'll be gone in a day or two

Things that you say
Is it life or just to play my worries away?
You're all the things I've got to remember
     You're shying away
     I'll be coming for you anyway

Take on me
     Take me on
     I'll be gone in a day or two

As I listened to his singing, I got the answer to one clue.