"What's going on?!" Emile cried, grabbing Remus's arms and hauling him into the cart. Roman jumped over the edge, pressing himself against the far wall, away from the smoke-demon-dog. 

Logan hissed. "We need something larger, with more iron!" he yelled, looking around. 

Emile looked around frantically, but there was nothing in sight. Janus joined him, throwing aside milk cartons and pushing the glass jugs around, but eventually he had to face the facts, there was nothing to be used. 

Janus clambered onto the top of the milk cartons, squeezing his eyes shut with a fierce, sharp certainty of death hanging over his head like a dull axe. 

And then, with a sudden scream of agony, the dog disappeared into steamy mist. 

Roman looked up, dazed, just as a figure stepped through the smoke, waving away the mist with a confused, shocked expression on his face. 

He was around Janus's age, 19 or 18, with wavy, silver-blonde hair shining like the moon, and eyes red and pink like pomegranate ink but hidden behind dark sunglasses. He had sun-kissed tan skin, with freckles dotting his shoulders and neck. 

He also looked very extremely confused. 

"Who are you, and how did you do that?" Logan asked carefully, stepping down from the cart to examine the boy closely. 

The boy opened and closed his mouth, shaking his head a bit. "I just... I heard someone shout 'more iron' so I found a great big fuckin' crowbar lying around, and I chucked it right at the thing's head."

Janus let out a long breath. "Well, whoever you are, you just saved us from getting eaten," he muttered. "Thanks, but couldn't you have done it sooner?"

"No, actually," the boy snapped back, crossing his arms. "I just appeared, and the first thing I heard was your flapping around, so stfu before I call security on your ass, gurl."

Janus was... not sure what he thought of this new development, however he was quite sure that he knew one thing. "I am not a girl," he yelled at the boy, stalking towards him and narrowing his eyes. "Why does everyone seem to mistake me for one these days!"

Logan grabbed Janus's hand, pulling him back. "Wait, what do you mean by 'just appeared'? Also, how would you call for security? Last time I checked, there are no guards stationed in ghost towns."

The boy sighed. "It's an expression, you..." He adjusted his glasses so the light sparkled on them in a million different ways. "Gawd. Anyway, I had a question. Do you know where here is?"

From his corner, Roman blinked. "Uh... west of Jacobson, around three miles away from Sunflower Bay. Are you lost? Did some witch teleport you here? Or was it a dragon?!" His voice grew more and more excited as he went on, pulling another knife from his belt. "Fear not, young citizen, I shall save you!"

"Quit your yapping, wannabe," the boy muttered at Roman. "I don't need saving, I just want to get back... home." He hesitated slightly, making a face Janus couldn't decipher. "Do you know a way back to Mississippi? I can catch a bus back to my hometown there."

Janus stared at the boy for several seconds, extremely dizzied. "I only understood half those words," he mumbled.

The boy stuck his tongue out at Janus. "You're not helping, in case you didn't notice," he shot back. 

"I don't want to help someone like you," Janus retorted, frowning. "You're being really rude, 'in case you didn't notice'."

At that, the boy fell silent, his hands curling into fists. Finally he laughed a little, shaking his head and leaning against the cart. "You know what, you're right," he admitted, letting his bangs fall over his mauve eyes. "I'm sorry."