Chapter Thirteen

The next day I don't go back to school, but after Maggie gets home she invites me over to her house. I tell her all about what happened as we're sat in the kitchen, drinking Diet Coke and waiting for Aunt Hannah to come home.

"That son of a b-" Maggie starts, but I hold my hand up to stop her.

"Don't waste a breath on that dumb dumb, he's not worth it." I say.

"God, you are you're mothers daughter." Aunt Hannah says from behind me.

I laugh a little turning to face her.

"I guess so." I reply.

"She has picked up a thing or two from her Aunt Hannah." Maggie jokes, winking at me.

"Shut up, you." I say jokingly.

"What has she picked up from me?" Hannah questions, genuinely interested as to what her daughter means. I gesture for Maggie to go ahead and say it.

"You're both hella gay!" Maggie exclaims.

Hannah's mouth drops open in surprise, before her replying. "First of all, that's awesome! I'm really, really proud of you Soph. Second of all, Maggie, don't ever call either of you're mothers 'hella gay' again."

Maggie and I burst out laughing at Aunt Hannah's attempt to be a strict parent, but eventually she joins in laughing as well.

"God, I can't believe how grown up you two are." She admits. "Especially you, Soph. I remember the day you were born, and you weren't breathing and your mom was so devastated. She hadn't exactly planned you, but god was she excited to have you. When she got to bring you home she was glowing with joy at having her little girl."

I can see Aunt Hannah getting slightly emotional, and I hug her tightly.

"And then you and Aunt Sarah had Maggie, who was literally the cutest baby ever." I continue, looking at Maggie's smile.

Not everything is perfect in this world, but I have a pretty near perfect family. And I wouldn't trade them for anything.