Chapter Two

"Sophie!" Mom calls. "Hannah, Sarah, and the kids are here!"

"Coming!" I shout back, shutting my laptop off. I go to look in the mirror, noticing how wild my curls look. I let out a sigh of exasperation at my appearance. My dark hair would be a lot prettier if it wasn't so messy.

"Sophie Soph Soph!" I hear Maggie's voice chanting jokingly from the dining room.

I laugh and head out to the kitchen/dining room combo and give Maggie a hug. Though Maggie is Sarah's biologically, she's so much like Aunt Hannah it's uncanny. Short, blonde, funny, and sweet. I love hanging out with Maggie, even though she's still in middle school.

"Hey Mags." I say. She gives me an annoyed glance.

"Do not call me Mags." She says.

I just laugh and go to hug her younger brother Kyler. Kyler is Hannah's biologically, but he somehow ended up more like Sarah. Aunt Sarah and him are both organized, honest people.

"Alright youngens," Aunt Hannah says with a warm smile. "sit down so we can eat."

I sit beside Maggie and Aunt Sarah, and across from Mom. Dad sits beside Mom and Aunt Hannah sits at the head of the table beside Aunt Sarah. Kyler sits beside Maggie.

"What are we having Aunt Grace?" Kyler asks, looking at the dishes of food apprehensively.

"Spaghetti and meatballs." She replies. "It's pretty hard to mess that up, even for me."

Dad and I exchange a glance and I can tell he's holding back laughter. Turns out, Mom did okay with the food. As we're all beginning dinner, Maggie bumps my knee.

"Have you asked your parents?" She whispers. I shake my head and she gestures to do it now. "If you ask and then I ask, Mom will feel obligated to let me go."

I smile nervously before asking, "Hey Mom?"

"Yes sweetheart?" Mom answers, looking from Hannah to me.

"Tonight there's a freshman party," I start, trying my hardest not to stutter over my words. I got rid of that problem a long time ago, but it comes back when I'm anxious. "and I was wondering if I could go?"

Mom looks to Dad, who shrugs.

"If it's okay with your mother, I'm okay with it." He says.

"You can go Soph, but I'm telling you now those parties aren't that fun. It's a bunch of drunk people falling down and people who can sort of grind grinding on each other." Mom warns.

"Sounds pretty funny, if I'm totally honest." I reply.

"No drinking, no drugs, and no sex without a condom." She says.

"Mom," Maggie says sweetly, turning to face Sarah. "can I tag along? I'll stay with Sophie all night, I promise."

Sarah looks like she's about to say no when Hannah places her hand gently on her shoulder.

"Maggie's growing up, hun, we need to realize stuff like this is going to be a question to consider." Aunt Hannah murmurs to her wife.

Sarah takes a deep breath before answering, "All right, you can go. Do not do anything you will regret later or that I would ground you for."

Maggie nods, a huge smile on her face. "Yes!" She exclaims, high fiving me.