The day has come

Kai had just finished making his sword when Nya came in with freshly picked fruits. "Hey Kai I actually grew something in the garden," Nya said holding up a ripe strawberry proudly. Kai looked over and smiles at his little sister who he raised all on his own. "Yum they'll be delicious," Kai said eying the assorted fruits. Nya playfully waves them in front of his face and he playfully tries to bite them before she swipes them away. "Aww just a little bite?" He asks. "Nope," Nya said. "Then I'll just eat your hand too," Kai laughs and Nya squeals running around the small house. With how they acted you would think they were children, but Nya was eighteen last month and Kai's twenty. They just like to have those innocent sibling moments when they just act like kids running around and playing.

Finally Kai caught up and tackled her on the old couch as she giggles and Kai stole the strawberry and took half a bite then smiling showing the red strawberry juice. "Delicious," he said. "Eww gross," Nya laughs at her brother. "Want a bite?" He asks. Nya took it and bit into it then spat it in Kai's face. "Hey! And you say I'm gross," Kai laughs wiping it off his face while Nya smiles proud of herself. "You wanted the strawberry," she said. Kai laughs at her and kisses her cheek. Their giggles died down and they settled into a peaceful silence before it was broken by a knock at the door. "I'll get it," Kai said and got up to answer it. He opens the door and finds the stone cold face of a blue uniformed officer. He knew this day would come he just didn't think it would be so soon.

"Report at five for fitting," the officer said handing a envelope to Kai then left. Kai closed the door looking at the note then turning to see Nya fear in her eyes as she looked at the envelope. "I don't want to be mated," she whispers. It was the end of the summer season and that meant it was time for the beasts to come and steal most of the young girls in the village to never be seen again. Nya has a fear of them whereas Kai has nothing, but a burning hatred for them. A rogue beast came and broke into their family home when Kai was nine and tried stealing their mother who was over the age of a offering and it wasn't even the time of year. The rogue had killed her when she tried fighting back and then when their father had tried killing it the beast killed him too. Kai saw it all a scared little boy hiding under the table as he saw his parents get murdered. It was the only time the outside beast packs let them punish one of their own since it was a crime to break the treaty on either side. The beast was killed for it's crimes, but Kai never felt anything from it all he did remember was watching his parents coffins going into the earth and feeling a deep hatred for the beasts. Mate bond or not they aren't taking another piece of his family. He went to comfort his sister hugging her as she clutched onto him.

"I don't wanna loose you too," she starts crying. "You won't loose me you might not even get chosen," Kai tries to calm her. "But what if I do? I'll never see you again," Nya sobs. "Just calm down I'll find a way I promise," Kai said. Nya took some deep breaths before she calmed down enough. "Now let's read the letter then go visit mum and dad on the way," Kai said and Nya nodded and they read the letter together. It was two o'clock and they didn't need to be there for another three hours so they made a early dinner. It was simple like all their other meals. Some cheap store bought heated up noodles with some rice Nya grew in her garden and sold for extra money. It was eaten in silence before they packed up and headed to town hall. The town seemed sad as if you listened closely you could hear the tears and beggings of those to be offered tonight. The beasts were said to be terrible creatures who were mean and killers to the core. They were possessive of their mates and kept them as slaves to their every whim. Of course none of the girls taken were ever heard from again so most of it was propaganda, but it was very likely to be true. Kai and Nya head to the graveyard and stopped at their parents graves.

Raymond Smith

Loving son,  father and husband