mind

cw: brief mention of them almost making out? nothing explicit really, but the section starts with 'is that supposed to be a euphemism for something?' and ends with 'Daria followed her boyfriend'

Daria and Jason were in charge of cleaning the lower deck, which had been thrown into chaos during the monster attack. Reorganizing the sick bay would take them most of the day, but Daria didn't mind. After last night, she had gained a healthy respect for Greek fire. And, any time she spent with Jason wasn't ever that bad.

"You didn't tell me about your powers," Jason commented as he threw bandages across the room. They'd worked out a system that involved a lot of (on the verge of bullying) insults on Daria's end, as one could imagine.

Daria shrugged. She could point out that it had been eight months, and there were a lot of things left to tell him, or mention that Jason hadn't told Daria about his sister, or bring up the question that'd been eating at her since day one, but she decided against it. "What's there to say?"

She patted the supplies down so that they fit easier into the cramped drawer. "I think the sick bay's good. Do you want to head to the stables?"

"I'd travel to the end of the world for you." He grinned back cheekily.

She laughed, shoving him lightly. "You're an enormous loser, you know that?"

"Enormous, huh?"

"Go fuck yourself."

He laughed, and she couldn't help but grin at her Jason peaking through. They had reached the stables by then, a short trip, and Jason reached over her to push the door open.

As they swept, Daria working on the hay as she had pushed Jason towards the broken glass, he began to pry again. "Daria, tell me more about your powers." He picked up each piece of glass with more dexterity than she could hope to. "I really do want to know everything about the last few months."

She peered down at where he was crouched on the floor. His phrasing was nonchalant, but she knew him better, and he knew that she knew him better. "What are you really trying to ask?"

His blue eyes met hers and before he could respond she interrupted. "Jason Grace, please look back at the broken glass if you're going to continue to pick it up."

"I'm literally done!" he protested, but he obliged her request. "Doesn't it hurt?"

"Broken glass? I'm sure-"

"Your powers," He interrupted. But there really was a concerned twinge to his voice, one that was ever so familiar. "The curse, doesn't it hurt?" There was a curiosity to the question that was strange-like he didn't even have a guess as to what the answer was.

"I don't really notice it anymore," she admitted. "Like, I'm sure the Gods didn't suddenly stop cursing me but it's definitely duller."

"And you would tell me if it wasn't?"

"Would I have to?" she challenged.

"Hey, hey," he put his hands up in surrender. "Apparently not, because I can feel the annoyance in that question."

Daria scoffed half-heartedly "We need to finish cleaning," she turned back to the broom in her hand. For the lack of horses, the stables still smelled pretty bad.

Jason raised an eyebrow, and immediately a gust of wind swept through the area, organizing the hay into the neat little piles Daria had been trying to achieve. His upper lip twitched, and Daria's eyes fell to the neat little scar that neither of them ever found an explanation for.

"Showoff," she grumbled. But she let him sneak around her and trap her with his toned arms. Unfairly toned, she might add. Daria had spent just as many hours in the training ring as he had, but at 5'2", she had little to show for it.