without

After making the satyr promise he wouldn't steer them to the nearest military base "for fun", Leo gave the helm to Coach Hedge again.

They gathered around the dining table, and Daria settled next to Jason. She was still reeling from the events of that afternoon. Piper had almost figured her out and there was a tense silence on the way back that she knew wasn't going to be resolved anytime soon. Daria chewed her enchilada miserably, she hadn't even meant to give herself away.

"Hey," Jason squeezed her left hand, speaking in low undertones so that no one else could hear. "You okay?"'

She nodded, smiling back as convincingly as she could. It was only a matter of time before Jason or Annabeth figured out who her godly parent was. If she needed to use her powers in a real battle, it would be clear that Demeter wasn't her mother.

Or, she could tell them first.

Do not worry my dear. She could basically feel Gaea's presence where Jason's shoulders met hers. I will protect you.

Right, Daria thought, stabbing a fork into her food once again. Just like you protected us in Kansas, I suppose. She didn't expect a response, and she didn't get one.

Piper was explaining what had happened at TOPEKA 32- their conversation with Bacchus, the trap sprung by Gaea, the eidolons that had possessed the boys.

"Of course!" Hazel slapped the table, which startled Frank so much, he dropped his burrito. "That's what happened to Leo too."

"So it wasn't my fault." Leo exhaled. "I didn't start World War Three. I just got possessed by an evil spirit. That's a relief!"

"But the Romans don't know that," Annabeth said. "And why would they take our word for it?"

"We could contact Reyna," Jason suggested. "She would believe us."

Daria nodded slowly, glad that Jason hadn't all but forgotten about his best friend. "Maybe, I could try and talk to her. But Octavian is the one we have to worry about, he's the one they'll listen to. I'm not sure Reyna could even stop him."

Jason's expression darkened. Daria didn't get any pleasure from bursting his bubble, but Hazel and Frank nodded in agreement.

"She's right," Frank said. "This afternoon when we were scouting, we saw eagles again. They were a long way off, but closing fast. Octavian is on the warpath."

Hazel grimaced. "This is exactly the sort of opportunity Octavian has always wanted. You know that. He'll try to seize power. If Reyna objects, he'll say she's soft on the Greeks. As for those eagles...It's like they could smell us."

"They can," Jason said. "Roman eagles can hunt demigods by their magical scent even better than monsters can. This ship might conceal us somewhat, but not completely—not from them."

Leo drummed his fingers. "Great. I should have installed a smoke screen that makes the ship smell like a giant chicken nugget. Remind me to invent that, next time."

Hazel frowned. "What is a chicken nugget?"

"Oh, man..." Leo shook his head in amazement. "That's right. You've missed the last like, seventy years. Well, my apprentice, a chicken nugget—"

"Doesn't matter," Annabeth interrupted. "The point is, we'll have a hard time explaining the truth to the Romans. Even if they believe us—"

"You're right." Jason leaned forward. "We should just keep going. Once we're over the Atlantic, we'll be safe—at least from the legion."

"How can you be sure?" Piper asked. "Why wouldn't they follow us?" There was a hint of resentment in Piper's voice when she spoke, but Daria couldn't be sure if it was aimed at her or Reyna or just the Romans in general for taking her friend away from her. He was ours to begin with.