I was stuck back in the back seat of the car again on the way to a new lead. Apparently the guy had a crazy ex who found out about his relationship. The adults chatted in the front while I stared out the window. "Lauren?"

I was ripped from my daydream when I realized Chloe was talking to me. "I'm sorry, what?"

"I was just asking about your life pre-Lucifer." Right. Pre-Lucifer times.

"Well. I moved away from my mother after she died, moved out of the town and away from child resources. Came to L.A where I resorted to escaping my horrible childhood by committing a LOT of crimes." Silence.

"How many crimes, exactly, did you-"

"Lucifer, you shouldn't ask that." I sat up straighter in my seat.

"No it's okay. I don't know the exact number but I'd say around eighty or ninety, it's hard to tell." Lucifer turned around in his seat.

"How old are you?"

"Fifteen."

"Bloody hell Lauren." My heart leaped. It was one of the few times he said my name. Hearing it from him felt strange. Like I was hearing my name for the first time. "Alright, let's get back to my point, what else can you do? Like, I have my mojo."

"Oh yeah, I thought that was kinda pathetic." Lucifer scoffed at my words.

"It is not pathetic." I grinned at how easy it was to get under his skin.

I was actually surprised that no one noticed I wasn't wearing a seat belt. I leaned on the edge of my seat and leaned into the front.

"So what does this 'mojo' thing do." Lucifer turned and got a shock that I was right next to him.

"Sit down, and put your seatbelt on. And my mojo is where I draw out people's desires."

"Like how I can see people's emotions?"

Lucifer looked interested for a second. "What else can you do?" I sat back in my seat and put my belt on while I spoke.

"Well, I can see people's hidden emotions. It can be very specific. Like how I could see the love between a mother and son in Charlotte's eyes when she mentioned you. I can also teleport myself and other things."

"How long have you been able to do these things?" How long has it been?

"Since I was five I think. It must have been when my mum. . . Never mind."

Silence as he processed this. "What did your mum do?" Saved by the bell. Well, by the car stopping at the suspects house. "Lauren?!"

I ignored him. I saw what he was doing and I wasn't going to spill my entire childhood to him just because he was finally taking an interest. Instead, I followed the detective towards the building, leaving Lucifer behind with an annoyed, confused look.

***

The ex's name was Alisha. A 23 year old living by herself in this gross looking apartment. Chloe walked to the door of her floor and knocked three times. "Alisha Todd, LAPD."

"Yeah that'll get her to open up." Chloe ignored me and knocked again.

Lucifer came up behind us looking bored and agitated. "Oh move over."

He lifts his leg and kicks the door open with ease and walks straight in. "Lucifer. We don't have a warrant."

"That's never stopped the devil before." The small room was dark. It stunk so bad I thought someone must have died in there. Clothes, food wrappers and empty glass bottles were littered everywhere.