Part I, Chapter 5

Start from the beginning

The remaining man wasted no time and began running towards the road block. Joshua took a shot at him, but it hit the road behind his churning legs. The man sprinted and dived near the cars and then cautiously lifted his head up to get a look at the sniper just as Nathan stuck the barrel of the shotgun over the hood of the old Chevy Nova. The poor man’s eyes showed comprehension, seeing the barrel of the shotgun only three feet from his face, as Nathan pulled the trigger and took his head off.

Nathan quickly scanned the bridge for other movement, but saw nothing. He went around the other side of the car and saw that the tall man had already bled out. He collected weapons, ammo, and anything else of use as quickly as he could. He then ran back to where Bethany and David were. Nathan jumped down between them again and soon Joshua approached them from the hill to their rear.

Joshua was breathless, “That’s all of them that I can see, the other end is clear. I’m also starting to get low on ammo for the Weatherby.”

Nathan looked at the three rifles he had just collected and selected an impressive Remington .300 Winchester Magnum with a Leopold scope. He handed the rifle to Joshua along with about sixty rounds of ammo recovered from the former owner’s backpack. “This should do you until we find more .270. It’s not sighted in for you, so don’t go trying to take any long shots until you get a feel for it,” Nathan explained.

Bethany moved closer to find out what was going on. David, without being told, ignored the meeting and continued to provide then security scanning the road and the bridge for anyone else who might approach them.

Nathan thought for a moment. “We could cross now. Might even be the smartest thing, but there could be more of them waiting hidden in the trees on the other side. We would walk right into them. Be sitting ducks out there on that open bridge.”

Bethany grabbed his arm, “But we have to get across. Another bridge could be days up or down river. We have to keep moving if we're going to make it.”

“Yes, we have to cross here if we can.” Nathan quickly came to a decision. “Joshua, go back up to that position and watch for any movement. Anyone crosses the bridge you take them out. If no one crosses by sundown, come to us and we’ll make our way over in the dark.” Joshua nodded and took off back up the hill.

Nathan turned to Bethany and told her, “Wait here a minute.” He moved quickly down the road and uncovered their packs hidden in the snow. Gathering them all he ran back to their position. He passed David and Bethany their packs, and traded weapons again with David.

After he briefed them on the plan, they all settled in to wait the few hours until dark. Bethany pulled out an old t-shirt from her bag, wet it in the snow, and began to clean spots of blood from Nathan’s face. “That was pretty foolish of you,” she said.

“Which part?” asked Nathan playfully.

“The part where you ran up to those cars. You had no idea what was waiting for you.” She sighed disapprovingly as she kept cleaning, “Don’t you always tell the boys to know what they are getting into before they jump. Besides, it looked like Joshua had it under control.”

Nathan smiled, “Yes he did, but I wasn’t sure he would act without me telling him to. He did well.”

“You know you’re not alone in this. We’re all together.” Bethany smiled shyly, “Even I can do my small part, although you know I don’t want to have to shoot anyone.”

“Babe, want has nothing to do with it and you know that."

She placed a calming hand on Nathan’s shoulder, “I know, and that’s not what I mean. Besides, you’d be proud of me. I’m pretty sure I winged at least one of the first bunch.”

“Really? You okay with it?” Nathan asked.

“I think so…” said Bethany thinking to herself. “Should I be freaking out over it or something?”

“I’d prefer you didn’t.” said Nathan in a tired voice.

“Besides, I already told you I’ll do what needs to be done.” Bethany searched for words and then continued. “You act as if everything is on your head and it’s not. Some things you just can’t control. Some things even work themselves out…and we’re here with you.”

“Are you trying to say I should have handled things differently?” asking Nathan defensively.

“No. I’m saying you don’t have to be so eager to jump right into danger just because you want to protect the rest of us.” She looked him in the eyes, “We can handle it too, but if something happens to you we’ll be lost. We need you. I need you.” She grinned and said “So use your head,” as she slapped him lightly on the shoulder not knowing it had been grazed by a bullet.

He had forgotten about getting shot, and groaned. Bethany inspected and saw that it was minor but still hissed with exasperation, “That’s exactly what the hell I’m talking about!” The look on her face caused Nathan to laugh and she laughed quietly too.

Bethany cleaned and bandaged his wound with care as they waited in the snowy cold ditch for nightfall.

*******

Shortly after the day’s last rays of sun fled from the sky, Joshua came back down from his sniper position. Nathan decided that he and David would go across first, one on either side of the bridge while Bethany and Joshua following about fifty yards or so behind them. If things went bad, they would flee back to their original position.

They stealthily crossed the bridge under a dark and cloudy sky. Around the middle of the bridge they passed a sign welcoming them to the State of Kentucky. At the other end they found another barricade and signs of long occupation. The remains of a fire was still warm and they spent blessed time warming their hands and feet after making sure the nearby wood-line was clear. Another sign on the road told them they were only a mile from the town of Louisa, Kentucky.

They relaxed for the first time that day, and Nathan even took off his wet boots and socks to dry by the replenished fire, when David jumped up abruptly. He stood still and alert like a deer looked into the woods. David slowly turned his head from side to side with a concerned look.

“What is it?” whispered Joshua.

David paused before answering, pushing the long dark hair out of his face. He nodded his head in decision, “Voices, and not far away.” He then got another confused and uncertain look before saying with surprise, “And a dog.”