eleven

It’s Sunday and I’ve done everything I had to do. I wrote all the letters—and my hand hurts because I wrote many, many pages—, I delivered them, I helped Coni with the balloons, I saw Lee Won and her gang, and now I’m back at my home, washing my hands trying to get rid of a all the paint from the twelve water balloons I blew up.

Why do I have to be so clumsy? At least that made Coni laugh and it’s a good thing I chose my flat’s rooftop to meet her because I can come back home, shower and change clothes.

I’m ready to meet her now.

I have to set up everything for her arrival and I feel so nervous. My hands keep shaking because I know she’s there. She left her home and she surely found my letter. Did she follow this? Did she go to Kristal and the others? Did she enjoy her breakfast? The musical?

I should’ve told Kristal to text me. The suspense is killing me.

I find myself looking at the clock constantly. If things are going according to plan, she should be going to meet Archie now, to have lunch with him. I don’t think I can eat today, my stomach is tied in knots and I lost all my appetite. What if she doesn’t get there? What if she got tired and went back home?

As I prepare the sandwiches I wonder where she is right now. It makes me so nervous knowing she’s there, so close but not here yet. Even if she went back home, she’s there, in the same city and that makes me feel all tingly inside.

I guess if this doesn’t work, besides apologising to everyone, I could wait in the bench the whole day until she picks up the post-it or she leaves one. She would leave a post-it if she doesn’t meet me, right? One apologising, saying she didn’t feel prepared or that she was ill and she couldn’t make it. I would accept any excuse, even if it’s not good. I would understand no matter what.

Once I’m done preparing the basket for our late picnic with the different type of sandwiches—because that’s the best thing I can do and that can wait for her no matter how long it takes for her to arrive—, cupcakes I made and some fruit inside, I also grab a blanket, two glasses of wine because these are prettier, I’m not thinking of giving her wine. Unless she likes it and would like that. I have. Just in case.

With all that, I go to the rooftop to set everything up. It’s a good thing it’s not that chilly but it’ll get colder as the day goes by, so after I put the blanket and the basket there, I get some cushions for her to sit and go for other blankets to keep there, neatly folded in case she gets cold and wants to wrap herself in something else. I don’t want her to get a cold because of me.

I get startled when my mobile buzzes in my pocket, almost making me lose my balance and fall on top of everything I’ve set.

She’s great and she’s on her way —Archie

My breath gets caught in my throat when I read that.

She went to Archie.  She’s on her way. She’s collecting the letters and she’ll be here. Archie met her. Oh my God, Archie met her! And he said she’s great.

I burst out laughing, unable to control it because I’m just so happy. I was so afraid she wouldn’t follow the letter, that she would stand me up but no, she’s doing this crazy scavenger hunt. I’ve received confirmation.

I can’t help myself, I ring Archie.

“Tell me everything!” I blurt out when he picks up. “No, don’t! Don’t ruin it. Let me see her for myself,” I correct myself immediately and I can hear him chuckling.

“I won’t tell you but be at ease. She’s great, you won’t be disappointed. And yes, she’s a girl, around our age, and yes, her name is Macarena. It’s not someone playing with you or anything,” he confirms and I bend down, hugging my knees as relief fills my body.