nineteen

“But first,” she says and I tilt my head, watching her carefully. “Can I use the loo?”

I chuckle not because she’s asking that but because she’s all blushed and looking adorable. Besides, her nose is also red due to the low temperature. We’ve been out for quite a while and I think it’s near midnight.

“Of course. And what if we move inside so we don’t freeze to death and I prepare two mugs of tea?” I offer but she seems a bit reluctant and I realise why then. “I promise I won’t put anything in your tea and the moment you want to leave, I’ll drive you home. I just don’t want you to catch a cold, that’s all.”

Maca looks away for a few seconds and I curse myself mentally. I should’ve been more careful instead of letting myself get carried away. I know it doesn’t make much difference to be here alone with me and inside my flat, but at the same time it’s different. This is an open space and well, I can easily lock her in my flat and kill her. Of course I won’t do that! But she barely knows me. We’ve been here for hours already, there’s no guarantee  in her eyes that I won’t end up a serial killer.

“O-okay,” she agrees and I jump, watching her surprised. I actually thought she would tell me that she had to go home and then never talk to me again and get a restraining order.

“Really?” I ask, stupidly. 

She giggles and nods, but her smile is coy yet nervous at the same time.

I don’t give her time to regret, I start collecting all the things I had for her and she helps me with the blankets, but we leave the cushions on the swing and then I guide her to my flat. I’m beyond nervous and I start to go mentally over every space inside, praying nothing too embarrassing will be around. I’m not a tidy person and I live alone.

Oh Lord, I shouldn’t have suggested to come here.

Once inside I feel so awkward and self-conscious, especially when Maca scans her surroundings. after I take her coat and put it away with mine. 

It’s a two-space flat, which means the kitchen and living room are together and I have a small table between the two, like a dinning room so to thing. Then there’s the door to my room and of course, the door to the toilet. It’s all decorated with second-hand furniture and vintage things I collect. A whole wall with books and films and records I’ve collected since I was a kid. It’s messy and nothing matches, there are even clothes spread on the sofa and floor and I hurry to pick them up, blushing completely.

“It’s nice,” Maca says. “Cosy.”

I laugh, “It’s a mess. Anyways, the toilet is right there,” I point at the white door that has a stupid sticker Archie gave me that reads King’s Throne. Goddammit, Archie!

“Thank you,” she replies heading there and I take the basket to the kitchen, where I put the kettle on.

Whilst Maca is in the toilet, I take two mugs. One is white and it’s written all over it Shakespeare insults. It’s my favourite and it was also Archie’s present. I hope Maca will like it because she’s getting this one. For me I pick one with a drawing of a cat taking a bath in a mug, inside the mug. I call it the Mug-Ception. As I drink my tea I see the cat taking a bath in my tea.

As I wait for the water to boil, I try to tidy up a tad-bit but there’s no much I can do. The place looks messy with all the different kind of furniture and the brick walls. Then I put some music just so the silence won’t make us feel uncomfortable.

Maca gets out when I’m pouring the water inside the mugs.

“Sugar and cream?” I ask her and she laughs, approaching and taking a sit at the small table between the kitchen and the living room.