Chapter Twenty Six

Without saying a word, Hagrid led Tom directly to the Headmaster's office. Tom followed solemnly behind him, his muscles still tensed from the encounter. As they neared the office, a muffled conversation could be heard from inside. Hagrid politely waited at the entrance to the office before he heard Harry Potter say 'Enter' from the other side. Hagrid led Tom into the office to see Harry, Ron and Hermione all sitting together. They had been chatting happily but as Hagrid and (more noticeably) Tom walked in they stopped talking and turned to look at them. While Ron and Hermione held concerned frowns on their faces, Harry stood up welcomingly and walked over to Tom. Tom, frowning, watched his movements carefully and silently- as if he didn't trust him.

"Tom! How nice of you to join us tonight! I thought you may have lost your way considering your lateness," there was an awkward silence as the room waited for an at least mumbled apology. However there was nothing but silence as Tom glared at the Headmaster. Not fully turning away from Tom, Harry glanced back to Ron and Hermione, "If you could leave us for a moment."
Keeping a suspicious eye on Tom, both Professor Weasley and Granger left the office. Hagrid shortly followed.

"Wait outside please," Harry called after them, "After this session you can come back in."

Tom visibly flinched at the word 'session'. He had never really gotten over it. Harry noticed this and narrowed his eyes slightly before moving on as if nothing had happened. He walked over to his desk and gestured to Tom to sit in his usual seat opposite him. Tom did so.

"Did Hagrid... tell you why I was late?" Tom asked cautiously. Harry shook his head.
"Should he? What happened?" Tom didn't answer, "Why are you all roughed up like that?" Harry asked, noticing the rips in Tom's clothes. Tom looked down at his clothes.

"Ripped," he said simply and monotonously. Harry shrugged.

"Well you are still growing... somehow. Honestly it's incredible how you do it. I would've thought you would've hit your limit but you must've grown at least 4 inches over the course of the year," Harry thought back to when he first saw Tom, "And you look so different to how you did in your first and second year."
Tom rolled his eyes, "Wow, really? How could you notice?" he said dryly. Harry smiled.

"So you can speak with sarcasm!"

Tom instantly regretted opening his mouth, "I'm not stupid."
"I never said you were but it's hard to get you to open up. Your not a very emotive person, Tom. I don't think I've ever seen you laugh or look happy in any way, really," Harry looked upwards in thought trying to remember a case, "Nope," he confirmed, "You always look, talk and act the same," he did an impression, "I'm really big, I mumble a lot, don't talk much."

"That's not how I sound," Tom said in a voice sounding just like Harry's impression although not intentionally.

"That's exactly how you sound," Harry sighed, "Now I feel that with sarcasm I've just hit the iceberg. Maybe you're actually a secret really emotional person."
"I'm not," Tom said lifelessly.

"I don't really like," Harry started suddenly, "How I've known you for almost a full year and we've been having these sessions but I still barely know you."
Tom paused, "I'm slow to trust."

"You don't trust 'sessions', do you?" Harry noticed Tom's flinch again. He'd hit it right on the head.

"No," Tom was obviously lying.

"Why don't you?" Harry asked, ignoring Tom's lie. Tom sighed and conceded. He was a bad actor.

"It has bad connotations... for me," he said vaguely, "Back home."

"The orphanage?" Tom nodded. Harry stroked his chin.

"It's not really my home," Tom didn't know why that slipped out but it did, "I don't have a home. Not yet."
Harry raised an eyebrow, "You're still waiting to be adopted."
"Yeah," Tom said defensively, "Why shouldn't I be."
"No, no, it's fine. I just know others your age who don't... mind," Harry picked his words with care but still felt he misspoke.
"Well then they should stay," Tom replied harshly, "But I want a home. I want a..." he hesitated, "-A mum. I want a dad."
"What would you do with them?"