Chapter Forty Two

Aubyn Young entered his dorm room joyfully. Around him were his band of 'friends' and they were all laughing together. Tomorrow was the last day of the year so tonight would be Aubyn's last night as a 6th-year. The group of Gryffindors had planned to throw a large party in the common room. Out of the corner of his eye though, Aubyn saw something small sitting on his bed. Leaving his group of chattering friends momentarily, he walked over to see what it was. It was an envelope: small and white. Aubyn reached out for it and picked it up. Somewhat cautiously he opened it and pulled out the tiny piece of paper that was kept inside. He read the message that was written on it and froze. For a split-second he found his body couldn't move. Then, slowly, a classic smirk emerged on his face. He smugly and with great precision put the tiny piece of paper back in the envelope and re-sealed it. He walked over toward the roaring fireplace and flung the letter into it, still wearing the same smirk. He turned back around to his friends and rejoined the conversation.

"New plan," he said loudly, silencing everyone else, "We're going to have to cancel the party. I have other business tonight that I must... attend to."

One of Aubyn's 'friends' spoke up, "Awww, are you sure?"

Aubyn nodded, still holding the smirk on his countenance, "I'm sorry but..." he chuckled, "This is very important to me."

Even though it was summer, the night was not warm. Outside the castle, cold winds blew harshly and rain flung around chaotically. It was certainly a bad storm. Tom sat down on his bed in his dorm. Around him everyone else was asleep. Tonight though, Tom had no intention of going to bed. In his hand Tom played with an intricate crystal statue. This had been a gift from Aubyn Young from a long, long time ago. He still didn't get what it meant. Why had Aubyn given him this? It never really made sense. After fiddling around with it for an adequate amount of time, Tom slid it carefully into his pocket. He looked up at the clock. It was 02:25 in the morning. He could hear the storm still raging above him. It was like the world knew what day it was; what was about to happen. Tom reached over to the table by his bed. On it sat a torn envelope. He picked it up and re-read the message that was concealed within it.

"The Great Hall. Tonight. 2am. Just us.

-Aubyn Young."

"I guess it's around that time," Tom murmured to himself and pulled his large body upwards. He walked slowly towards the door. What the hell was he planning?

'Maybe it's a trap,' Tom contemplated. That thought had bounced around his head for the past 8 hours. He paused his movement. Then he continued, 'Well then I guess I have been successfully baited.'

Tom just couldn't allow himself not to go. His curiosity was certainly getting the best of him. But he didn't care. He had to go. He had to.

Tom walked slowly down the corridors of Hogwarts. The Great Hall was only a few steps away now. Tom regarded his surroundings. He could still hear the winds raging outside. He could see the dampness clear on the floor. The air was slightly foggy and darker and somehow less mystical than Tom had remembered it being when he first ever arrived there in his first year. The corridor was only lit by small lamps that provided little to no brightness. But Tom didn't care. He was now right outside the grand doors of the Great Hall. He paused for a while, weighing up all his options. Eventually he settled on what action he would next take... and then he took it. He pushed the doors open with ease. His strength made the easily 10 foot tall doors look like they were made of twigs. They flung open, creaking wildly.

The Great Hall was not much lighter than the corridors but Tom could at least see all of it. The tables, the chairs, and standing right at the top of the room, standing opposite where Tom was entering from: Aubyn Young. They locked eye contact. Tom walked in a few steps into the room, not looking away from the boy in front of him. His face was stern and held a hateful frown. Aubyn held his signature smirk, pride and smugness etched into every orifice.