Chapter 6 - Parents

(Elle's POV) 

I woke up to a text from Ochaco.

"No school. Cancelled." was all it said.

Wait what?

That's when I heard my parents voices downstairs. Was today a holiday or something that I didn't know about?

I walked downstairs to find my dad sitting at the kitchen table and my mom making breakfast.

"Hi mum, dad." I said blankly. "You guys haven't gone to work yet?"

"No." said my mum. "Your school called and told us classes were cancelled so we got permission from work and we have today off. Can't leave you home alone too long." she smiled that weird, big smile of hers.

Are you serious? I'm in high school. I'm not a little kid. 

"We found out what happened after work." said my dad. "When we got home, we went directly to your room but you were already asleep."

"Yeah, it was scary but we fought back and we fought hard. And look, I'm fine." I said proudly. "Barely a scratch."

Neither of my parents acknowledged what I said. No praise, no worry, nothing. I sighed and went back up to my room. 

I grabbed my phone and checked the U.A. Girls group chat that I assumed Ochako had made last night. 

Ochako: School's cancelled. Huge bummer.

Tsu: Any updates on Aizawa-sensei?

Mina: No. I'm kinda worried. 

Yaoyorozu: Elle? You ok?

Hagakure: Elle has some explaining to do ;)

Tsu: Huh?

Jiro: Wym?

Ochako: Yea what r u talking about?

Hagakure: So, my parents picked me up after we got back to school and on the way home I may have seen Elle walking with a certain spiky haired explosion boy ;)

Mina: What? Rlly?

Ochako: srsly?

Tsu: Bakugou? They were sitting next to each other on the bus yesterday...

Jiro: they dating?

Elle: Guys

Elle: I'm fine.

Elle: No we're not dating. He just walked me home. 

I put my phone down, staring at it. I couldn't help but think about how Bakugou hadn't texted me yet. I know I'd only given him my phone yesterday but still. 

I walked downstairs grabbing what little was left of breakfast for myself. Not that I minded, I didn't eat much anyway. 

When I was done eating, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I pulled it out to see who was texting me.

???: Hey Elle? It's Izuku. Ochako gave me your number. Are you feeling ok? Call me when you get the chance. 

I got up from the table and walked away before calling him back. The phone rang twice before he picked up.

"Hello?" Izuku asked when he picked up.

"Hi Deku."

"Oh, Hi Elle. Uh, Ochako g-gave me your number. I just w-wanted to see if... if you were uh feeling any better." 

"I'm fine now. Recovery Girl helped me. How about you? Feeling ok?"

"I'm fine. Recovery Girl healed up my arm. I just wanted to check in before I go shopping with my mom."

"Ok, we'll catch up later. Bye."

"Bye Elle."

I hung up and turned around to see my mom standing behind me. 

"Elle? Was that a boy you were talking to?" asked my mom.

"Just a friend." I stated simply, slipping my phone back into my pocket.

"Uh huh." said my mom, looking me up and down.

I looked over at my dad. He was staring off into space in the opposite direction of where we were. He hated boy talk. He probably didn't even want me to know any boys. 

Feeling the awkward tension in the room, I went upstairs to my room and changed into an All Might shirt, a pair of black ripped skinny jeans and black converse. I grabbed my phone and my sketchbook, went outside and sat in front of my house wondering what to draw today. 

I settled on a fox. Foxes held a lot of symbolism for me. They're sly, intelligent and honoured by the Celtic for their wisdom. I saw one once when I was five. I had just been adopted that day and was heading home with my new parents. I saw a pair of fox eyes peering at me through the bushes outside my window. It stared at me for a moment then disappeared. Since then I saw fox eyes alot, particularly at night, peering out of bushes. Who knows? Maybe my spirit guide is a fox.

As I finished up my drawing, I saw a group of guys from my class walking up the street. I squinted to get a better look at them and saw Kirishima, Kaminari, Sero and Bakugou walking together, probably going off to the arcade again. 

Kirishima was the first to spot me and waved at me. The other three followed suit with Bakugou's eyes lingering on me for a little longer than the other three. 

"Bakugou! You coming?" Kirishima called from up the street. 

Bakugou turned away, rather reluctantly, and ran to catch up to his friends.

"Who are those hooligans?"

I turned around to see my father standing behind me. 

"My friends from school." I said, slightly annoyed.

Before my dad could say anything, I got up and walked past him, back into the house, only stopping to take off my shoes before going up to my room. I threw my shoes in my closet and flung myself onto my bed. 

I looked up at the ceiling and sighed. I never would have thought that I would miss being in school this much. I turned over and looked at my phone. Still no text from Bakugou. I sighed again. 

Hopefully, school would be in session tomorrow.