The Battle

Power is no blessing in itself, except when it is used to protect the innocent.

Jonathan Swift

The transport set down on a hill, two miles from the nuclear power plant located in Pozharnov, Russia. The heroes walked down the ramp, finding themselves under blood-red skies, while an unnatural wind whipped their hair and capes, to get their first real view of the enemy's stronghold.

Barry stepped closer to Kara, grasping her wrist as the sight threatened to overwhelm him. "It's okay, Barry," she cooed, "just don't let it overwhelm you." Then she turned and smiled, "we are here with you, little warrior."

Barry stood a bit taller and Kara was rewarded with a smile from the speedster, "we got this, Kara."

Diana and Bruce stood behind the group with Clark. "She is quite amazing, isn't she?" Superman asked the two heroes. He watched her careful camaraderie with the other heroes and wondered once again why he was here.

Bruce nodded, and once again Diana felt a warmth in her chest blossom, "that she is."

Bruce clapped his hands together and got everyone's attention, "we need to run a reconnaissance of the area and get an idea of where the innocents are. Clark and Kara, can you do a flyover and put eyes on as many people as possible." Then he turned and looked at Barry, "I need you to do a quick run around the border of the shield and then find a safe area for the people we are about to evacuate, okay?"

Barry swallowed and nodded, "yeah, yeah I can do that."

Diana stepped up to Clark and Kara, "this is a recon only mission, no contact with the enemy, understood?"

"Yes, your highness," Kara answered, bowing her head.

"I am more than capable of...," Clark spoke but was interrupted.

"No contact, Clark. We need time to get those civilians out of the area and to do that, we need to avoid contact before we use Bruce's device," Diana warned.

Kara was listening to the conversation, shocked by her cousin's inability to understand a simple strategy. She waited until Clark moved away and took Diana by the hand, "I will watch him, princess."

"He is untrained, Kara," Diana swallowed, as goosebumps formed on her arm from the young captain's touch, "he will bring too much attention to us before we are ready."

"I will keep us safe, Diana," Kara reassured the Amazon.

Diana engulfed the blonde in a fierce hug, "I know you will, Kara. For the honor of Themyscira."

Kara allowed herself to be held for a moment longer, smiling softly, even with the threat of imminent danger hanging over all their heads. Her senses were temporarily overwhelmed by her proximity to Diana and she failed to hear the argument between Bruce and Clark.

"Dammit, Clark," Bruce hissed, "listen to them, they are the strongest strategists on the team."

"I am more than capable of handling these aliens," Clark snapped back.

"The rest of this team isn't, except for Kara and Diana," Bruce said, "Arthur, Barry, Victor, and myself, we aren't like you three, we can be hurt by those weapons."

"I've fought those demon's before, they aren't that tough," Clark bragged, "surely you have enough gadgets in that belt of yours to handle them."

"Nevermind, Clark," Bruce huffed. Then he stuck his finger in Superman's chest, "do not jeopardize this team."