Discovery

"There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment."

Sarah Dessen,

"Superman is alive." The redheaded newscaster spoke calmly into the camera, but it was impossible to miss the shaking papers and microphone held tightly in well-manicured, but white knuckled fingers. The young woman took a deep breath and continued with her story. "According to eyewitness accounts, the Man of Steel was responsible for the deaths of twenty bug-like creatures and one female meta while saving a schoolyard of children and a teenage hostage." The woman paused for a moment and swept her arm over the playground, "Superman hasn't been seen since. More to come as the story develops. This is Lana Lang of the CatCo News Network, reporting." As the image faded to black, the woman stared into the cloud filled sky.

>>>

Kara dropped heavily onto the couch, her gaze trapped by the images on the TV. Her fingers twisted in the hem of her sweatshirt.

Diana stepped away, across the room, hugging and whispering hello to Etta. She quietly excused herself and made her way towards the balcony, lifting her buzzing phone and seeing Bruce's number flash on the screen.

"Diana? It's..." Barbara answered, her voice tight as she was interrupted.

"Barbara? Where's Bruce?" Diana asked, her voice filled with worry.

"Injured. His shoulder was dislocated and Dr. Danvers said he has a mild concussion," the blonde woman responded. "Mera was hurt also. She took a shot to her hip, but she seems to be healing quickly, but not quite as fast as you." Barbara paused for a moment and took a deep breath, "and Clark hasn't returned yet."

Diana jumped as Kara's fingers touched her shoulder. "Highness, put her on speaker."

Diana took a deep, calming breath and tapped the speaker icon on her screen, "What happened?" She stopped speaking and turned, a questioning look on her face as Kara squeezed her fingers.

"Hi, little sister." Kara questioned softly, "Are you okay?"

"Three women attacked us..." Barbara started, then stopped as she took a deep breath. "They--they..." She stopped as Kara interrupted.

"Barbara, I need you to stop and breathe. Listen to my voice and calm down," Kara whispered. "Right at this moment, I don't want to hear what happened. Right now, I don't really care what happened. I just want you to tell me that you are okay?"

Diana smiled and shook her head, her dark mane sweeping across Kara's cheek. "I'm going to leave you two alone and go talk to Etta." She pressed her lips to Kara's, turned and made her way towards Etta, taking the woman's hand in hers and moving across the room to the balcony. As she slid the door open, she peeked back over her shoulder at the woman who had captured her heart, a feeling of pride bringing a flush to her cheeks.

>>>

"Kara, I thought you would be angry." Barbara spoke softly, her words coming out with deep gulping breaths. "We--I'm okay, but..." The woman stopped speaking, and Kara listened as a sharp keening filled the air through the phone. "So...so much death."

Kara started to sing, a very old nursery tune that she remembered her mother and Astra crooning when she was a small child, years before Krypton was destroyed. Her voice was like an instrument, powered by love and care as it pulled the stress and anger from Barbara. drawing it and drowning the woman's guilt so she wouldn't have to continue to carry it.

"Do you feel better, sister?" Kara asked as her voice cracked from the singing. She started to laugh as Barbara giggled. After a few moments she chuckled, "I have not sung in ages."