Healing

"Grief is not as heavy as guilt, but it takes more away from you."

Veronica Roth,

The room was completely silent as Hippolyta regally lowered herself to her seat. She continued to face her daughter, and with a raised eyebrow, asked, "how do we go about letting the world know we exist, Diana?"

It took Diana a moment to collect herself, then she smiled and stood to speak. "Your Highness and honored members of the Senate," she nodded to each member and then returned her eyes to her mother, "we will need to approach the governments of the world, and I have a friend who can help with this. If that is acceptable.'

"A friend? Diana?" Hippolyta asked, not even meeting Diana's eyes, "you mean a man?"

Diana's shoulders dropped a bit at her mother's question, "yes, your Highness, a man. Bruce Wayne will help us."

Hippolyta turned her eyes up to her daughter, "then we as your family must put our faith and trust in you and your friends, Princess Diana."

With that statement, Diana's eyes lit up with pride and she stood to full attention in front of her queen, and with a smile, "then I shall do my best to honor that trust, your Majesty."

Hippolyta's eyes softened and a small smile turned up the edges of her mouth as she pictured, not the formidable warrior, but the child she remembered from so long ago.

**********

Arthur's eyes blinked open to sounds of a flute being played and a sweet, almost angelic voice singing. He stood, stretching the injuries he had received during the fight in Sicily. He looked down at his arms and chest, removing the seaweed that was covering them, and inspected them, marveling at the healed, though still tender flesh. He stood and pulled on his shirt, following as the sound of music summoned him towards the bow of the small boat.

As he rounded the wheelhouse, Mera looked up and stopped playing, a small, shy smile playing on her lips. Kara, however, stopped singing and watched him, her eyes narrowed as she surveyed his movements, "how are you feeling, Arthur?" The words came a bit harshly.

"Sore, but I'll live," he smiled, then noticed that Kara did not seem amused. Instead, her eyes went to Mera, who nodded.

Kara's scowl grew deeper, and Arthur noticed a small scar between her eyes, along with what seemed like anger shining in those blue orbs.

"Did I do something wrong?" Arthur asked, eyes flicking between Kara and Mera.

Mera sighed heavily and rolled her eyes, "you were hurt and you insisted she leave you and protect me."

"You--you're a woman," Arthur explained as if it were obvious.

Mera's lips pursed and her cheeks flamed a deep red.

"Her gender does not infer weakness, Arthur Curry," Kara snarled. "She had her magic and they were holding back."

Arthur stuttered, "I didn't want to take that chance, and I took care of Manta."

"Took care of him," Kara laughed, "two wounds to your shoulder, a puncture to your stomach, burns to your wrist and hands. That was taking care of him."

Mera turned her head, snickering.

"But..." Arthur stuttered, interrupted.

"No buts, Arthur, we are a team, including Kara," Mera's tone was softer now, the concern Arthur had shown for her well-being, causing heat to bloom in her chest. "You said she is one of the greatest fighters you have ever seen, and yet you dismissed her."