It was on the cards

Depuis le début

"I have, a hell of a lot."

"I've been missing you too." I confirmed.

"Hellish."

"I saw the Fugitive last night and it was brilliant."

"Was it good?"

"Yeah I went with my friend from Uni, Rhys. So how was Poland?"

"It was good. I caught the train to Warsaw and there are three train stations. I don't want to waste money telling you these stories."

"write and tell me then."

"I will, have you sent me a letter?"

"Yeah, why?"

"when did you post it?"

"Monday."

"It's still not here. It's just that I threw a tantrum today, like, it's not here like, you know...and where is this surprise?"

"What surprise?"

"You promised me a surprise in your last conversation, what kind of surprise?"

"If I knew that, it wouldn't be a surprise!" I replied. "When was it?" - this was a very surreal conversation!

"Friday last week!" he replied.

"Was I drunk? I don't remember."

"There's a difference between being drunk and being drunk on."

"I can't remember doesn't matter."

"Aye it does", he insisted.

"Was it Saturday?"

He stated "I've done something for you."

"For me?" I asked.

"I've given up smoking for you." he claimed.

"Well that's no good," I replied. "You need to give up for yourself for it to be successful." I advised.

He was trying to be a better man for me. I hated smoking and I'd never dated a smoker. I'd not made a big issue of it but it petrol and cigarettes were my nightmare smells.

"Well I've got a confession to make. I had a cigarette today. Three draws and I felt hellish for it. I gave up when I arrived in Poland. I gave up because I just felt really bad, lots of pains. I threw the packet in the bin so I thought, and I think I'll do it."

"Give up."

"Aye. Anything is possible:"

"So I promised you a surprise?"

"You did, and you've really got me bothered." I was enjoying being under his skin. The aggression I guess, was lack of nicotine.

"I spoke to your Mother and she said she had posted off your driving licence and you've filled it in all wrong."

"What? No listen, I didn't!"

"She told me to say that you should ask for a replacement."

"No, I knew it, I asked for a new one as it takes so long even though it costs more."

"Well they have your record."

"I know this. I've done it before, but it was months ago."

"Anyway I've sent your watch off for a new battery like you asked and it's going to be £20."

"Why do people think they know better?"

"Because we know you!" I should have not made this comment, he was not in the mood. "anyway they have sent it back. Your watch will be ready in two weeks."

"What? The b....s!"

"Well that will teach you to get drunk and fall over!"

"You should have told her to forget it."

"I don't want to talk about it, I just miss you!"

"Do you?"

"Aye." he replied.

"So did you have a good time?"

"Aye. I did but...."

"Who did you go with?"

"Dog but he's as brutal and boring, oh he's hellish. He sends you to sleep."

"You're intolerant."

"Listen I'm talking to you baby, he's dead lethargic conversation wise. We were on the train and he just slept! The whole journey! The only time he woke up was when I said to myself to remind me never to go again on holiday with Dog! I could have done with you being there."

"Well that would have kept you awake! At least you saw some of Poland."

"This is true my dear otherwise it would have been a hotel room and ceiling!"

"Enough stop it!"

"Well, it's true isn't it?"

"So I was in Bangor yesterday at the cinema and there were only two screens and I was expecting twelve."

"Oh aye spoilt for choice, I prefer it like that. I cannot be bothered with these big things. I arrived in Warsaw and they had this advert for a bullet proof window for homes. Just where I want to move to! So you were talking about moving to Edinburgh."

"Ah you have remembered something!"

"I remember every single word, every letter! So I have an exercise for two weeks and I've been drinking more now that I've stopped smoking. "

"So are you happier?"

"Reasonably happy, could be happier. Just wait a month and I'll be happier. I have to start smoking again as it's making me crabbit."

 We said our goodbyes.

I woke up in the morning, very awake. I had been dreaming that Ali had got me some jewellery. It was one of the dreams I have when I know I'm seeing the future.

I got up and the phone was ringing and sure enough it was Ali. He had been in the pub all night, from when he'd rung me. He said some lovely things like I'm particularly beautiful with my hair up. He told me that he's never felt like this about anyone and doubts he will again. He told me he loved me as a person, not just for my looks.

Mum asked who had rung at 06:35 and told me "He's just an attractive drunkard." I didn't want to see it.

Days later I wrote Ali a letter and posted it. It was full of hope for the new job as my current job was just too disruptive, playing secretary all the time. I really hoped I would get it.