"Mason! It's burning!" cries Katy rushing to him, or rather the smoking pan behind him.
Mason snaps quickly out of his musings, only to have Katy already on the situation. She switches off the stove before wafting away the smoke towards the exhaust pipe. Sifting through the burnt eggs, Katy glances at Mason and suddenly notices their proximity.
"Ah...um..." she mumbles, stepping back a little. Trying not to be offended at the movement, Mason glances back at the eggs.
"Well there's a few pieces maybe, that's not too burnt..." he states, spotting rare yellow gems from the burnt ashes.
"Will you try them?" Mason asks eagerly.
He's already gone through a few attempts this morning hoping to impress Katy or at the very least, cook an edible breakfast. Katy grimaces before nodding, finding the hopeful glint at Mason's eyes adorable. Never has a man been so eager to have her approval; she admits she does enjoy it just a smidge.
She grabs a fork picking out a bit that doesn't seem too burnt. As her lips wrap around it, Mason waits anxiously.
And then... a few minutes later, Katy splutters into coughs as she winces. She rushes to grab a glass of water, gulping it down immediately.

The disgusting overwhelming amount of salt and pepper, washes away allowing Katy to calm down. She had bitten into the crystalised salt between the goo of the egg, and then had come the eye-watering pepper. But then seeing the heart-broken look on Mason's face, Katy cringes at her overreaction.
"It's...it's...very well seasoned," she conludes with a shaky smile. Mason glances at her before bursting into laughter. Even Katy can't help but smile widely in response. 

***************

Half an hour later, and Katy's managed to prepare an entire spread of brunch, much to Mason's delight. He won't be eating like this forever so it's best he takes advantage of it now while he can.

"So..what do you like doing Katy?" he asks.
Obviously waitressing and bar work isn't exactly her passion so what does she like? What are her hobbies?
Katy's surprised by the sincerity in his eyes, like he actually cares.
"Um...well, I don't know...I don't mind doing...anything," she stammers.
"Oh come on! There must have been something you liked to do...What was your job?" he continues.
"I didn't have a job."
Apart from being a wife and that was a full-time job with little benefits.
"Well what job would you have liked to have?" he asks.
"I...liked Mathematics in school," blushes Katy.
As geeky as it sounds it's the truth, even though does wish she could say something exotic and sexy, like dancing or acting perhaps.
Mason smiles, in surprise. That's certainly not what he was expecting to hear. Math...well, that certainly means that she has a firm head on her shoulders.
The cogs churn away in Mason's head. Katy was a captive; she had no freedom to explore so Mason guesses that she wouldn't have had the chance to go to college...

"I have a friend who's father is the Dean of the local college...if you'd like I can try arrange for us to go and sit in one of the mathematics lectures? What do you think?"
Katy snaps her head up gasping, "really?!".
College had been an unattainable dream. Firstly because her family could never have afforded it even if she had managed to get a scholarship and stay in state, and secondly she had mistakenly thought marriage to Richard would have allowed her to do this. Clearly that never happened and though she may be a little rusty now, the chance of being able to learn again invigorates her.
"Really," confirms Mason, grinning.

*********

Gliding into the car, Katy's jittery with excitement; maths equations flowing through her brain as she smooths over the invisible crinkles of her blazer. Today's outfit is more her choice, feminine as always but with a hint of professional, all in form of a cream dress and mocha blazer. All toped off with gladiator sandals and gold jewellery.