Bad News

Michael lowered the binoculars, a fire raging within him, daring to be released. Slamming his hand on the dash of the car and bit back a growl. How could his friend be in the pocket of such a low life loser? Michael knew for certain now, that this is why Hughes didn't respond to his call. How had he missed the signs? Michael thought back on their previous conversation. Hughes had been sweating and stammering, two actions he had never seen by his friend before. I'm such an idiot.
Michael pushed in the clutch, shifted into first gear and hit the throttle, slowly slinking after Hughes. For a man who was in the pocket of a monster, he sure tore out of there rather quickly. Michael parked diagonally from where Hughes parked and watched as the man climbed out of his vehicle.Pulling out his phone, Michael hit redial and listened as it rang.
"What's up, Mike? I don't have international calling so make it quick," Jesse indicated.
Michael rolled his eyes. "Bad news, it seems that Hughes is working with Kavanaugh."
"You certain?" Jesse implored.
"No, but I just caught him leaving Kavanaugh's place of business in a hurry right after leaving the bureau."
"That's not good. Should we continue as planned?"
"Not much else we can do..." Michael's voice trailed off as he wracked his brain for alternatives. He contemplated confronting Hughes, but thought better of it, for now. "I'll be back shortly."
"Alright, well just a heads up, Sam is with his lady friend, and I'm hanging out at the hotel, but we can come over tonight to hash out the details for tomorrow if you'd like."
"Thanks, but why don't we call it a day?"
                                        +++++
"Daidi!"
"Come here, Cathal." Michael swept Charlie up into his arms and pulled him close. While the rest of his life seemed to falter, his love for his family was rooted deep.
Fiona glanced at the pair and smiled, then continued preparing dinner. "Jesse and Sam will be here soon," she let out as she pulled, what smelled like Michael's favorite dish, from the oven.
"Shepherd's pie," Michael inhaled a nose full of the savory scent. "Let's go see what Cad has for us, ya?"
Charlie nodded his head eagerly and imitated Michael's deep breath.
"Actually, sweetheart, I asked Jesse if I could have this evening with my family?"
With eyebrows arched, Fi questioned, "Oh? What'd he have ta say 'bout that?"
Attempting to keep his face from blushing Michael stammered, "I-I... I won't quote what he said verbatim, but he said to have a nice night."
"What a firecracker," Fi shot out, letting out a guffaw. "Honestly I'm sure Elsa feels the same."
Michael chuckled awkwardly, knowing his face was surely red now.