Just Business

"Is that... Fiona's car?" Michael's insides were suddenly ablaze with anger and worry.
He spotted it up ahead, about a half mile from where they turned left into the winding road of the old factory. Michael slammed his right hand on the steering wheel, hard, knowing it was too late to turn around.
"Mikey, calm down, maybe it's not?" Sam's uncertainty only angered Michael further.
Michael flipped open his cell and dialed Fiona's number. The phone buzzed then went to voicemail after only two rings.
"Jesse is set up in the factory to overlook the deal. So it won't even come-"
"Sam, tell me you had nothing to do with this!" Michael cut Sam off and glared into his eyes with an edge he had not felt in years.
"I swear Mike. Honestly! I'd never involve her, not now." Sam's eyes were wide. "Now calm down or we're gonna blow it with Kavanaugh."
Michael took in a sharp breath, his mind fuzzy and his head light.
The car rolled up, and Michael got out quickly, slamming the door behind him, Sam following with a loud sigh.
"You in position Jesse?" Sam asked.
"You know it. I've got a clear view up here." Jesse replied, seeming calm and collected.
Jitters threatened to unnerve Michael, but he pushed his anxious thoughts away as a car pulled in and came to a stop before them.
Two boy guards stepped out and Kavanaugh followed. "Where's the stuff?"
"Right on the point, I get it." Obnoxiously, Michael jammed a piece of gum in his mouth and chewed, then spoke, "Stuff's in the boot."
Michael felt Sam's stifled curiosity at the Irish term for the trunk of the car.
"To it man." Michael pointed to the trunk and Sam quickly went to open it. "Meiriceánaigh, am I right?" Michael joked, though Kavanagh only rolled his eyes.
Proudly standing by the trunk Michael began, "These pharmaceuticals will knock your socks off, don't try more than one, trust me. And if you're interested I've got some great document forging goods. But first, where's my money?"
"Fifty thousand." Kavanagh gestured for one of his men to hand Sam the briefcase. As Sam counted the money, another man began loading the supplies into Kavanagh's vehicle.
"It's all here, Sir." Sam nodded confirming the agreement.
"Nice doin' business with you, Sir." Michael stretched out his hand, which Kavanagh met, with a tight grip.
"Don't let me catch you on my turf again, or we'll have a problem, you got that, Nolan?" Kavanagh released, then turned without a further word or glance toward Michael.
"You've got it. Won't happen again. Take care." Michael jabbered, even as the car pulled away.
Pulling out his cell phone, Michael stared at the name "Hughes" on his screen. Breathing out hard he dialed the number and put the phone to his ear. The phone rang once then the call ended. Michael tried again but this time it didn't ring nore did it go to voicemail.
"Mikey, what's up?" Sam asked, hesitantly.
"Shouldn't we hear sirens by now?" Jesse asked, making his way down to them after several minutes.
"Mike, something's up."
"I know Sam, I'm aware." Michael tried to hide the edge to his voice. Fear tightened in his chest, as he recalled Fiona only yards away.
"You sure we can trust this cop buddy of yours, Mike?" Sam asked, puzzled.
"I need to go get Fi," Michael said, ignoring Sam's question.
"What are you doing here?" Michael was fuming, his voice trying not to crack with anger.
Fiona sat in her car, which had been moved into a discreet location in the field, hidden by several large pines. "I only wanted you to know I would be there to back you up, Michael."
"Fiona! With, with what? And you're pregnant." Now Michael truly was stammering.
Fiona's face and countenance were free from remorse and angst. "You needed backup. It's been a long time. You know, Michael Westen is a little rusty. 'Sides, I picked this up." Fiona held up a Steyr SSG 69.
"Where in the blazes did you get that?" Michael spat out.
"Ain't it a beaut, Michael? Honestly I cannot believe I've parted with such wonderful machinery, though I think I might need to return this to our lovely neighbor."
Michael took a deep breath and leaned on the top of the vehicle. "Something's off with this job, Fi. I told Hughes about the meeting and to answer my call after the deal. He didn't answer and it doesn't sound like they picked up Kavanagh."
"So he got away with the drugs and forgery equipment?" Fi asked eagerly.
"Don't think this means you get to use that thing."