2. My problems. Not yours.

Start from the beginning

I do a small dance in my seat and stand up, grabbing a small stack of papers. "Here you go," I say, handing Xavier half of the papers. "It usually takes a sheet or two to complete these assignments." He looks at me and takes the paper.

"Thanks," he mumbles. I sit behind him and look around the class. Everyone is whispering. I shrug and grab my book and pencil.

"Time for notes," I whisper to myself. 'The Great Depression.. Wonderful. This should be easy then, since I did a paper on it once.'

~~

Twenty minutes later, I finish with the third assignment. Chapter 9 is on The Revolutionary War. How these historical events are in chronological order, I have no idea.

"Keiara?" someone calls. I look up from my papers to see Xavier has turned around.

"Um, yes?" I answer. He bites his lip a little, which doesn't seem like him. Even though I've just met him.

"Can you help me?" he asks. I nearly burst out laughing at the question.

"Yeah, what's wrong?" He turns around for a second to grab his paper. I can see he has similar handwriting to his brother.

"I can't focus." I put my pencil on my chin, thinking. 'What could have him so unfocused?'

"Is it the teacher? I noticed when he said his name you looked kinda rigid," I say, watching him a little closer. His chest stopped moving, like he had stopped breathing.

"No. But I'd still like your help," he responds quietly. I smile politely and nod.

"No problem. I don't know if at your old school you did summaries different, or did them at all, but the way we do them here is almost like taking notes on what happened. So, you grab the needed information like, during the Depression, President Hoover believed that America would fix itself over time."

"What problem fixes itself?" Xavier mutters.

"Sometimes a problem can fix itself, other times, like this one, it's hopeless," I say. He nods like he understands and turns back around.

"Thanks. You helped a lot."

"No problem." I go back to my own work and stare at my paper. Now I can't focus. I stand up and it feels like everyone in the room is staring at me. Walking up to the teacher, I glance back to see Xavier staring right at me.

"Can I help you?" My heart is bound to beat out of my chest. Mr. Trent has dirty blonde hair and grey eyes the pierce my very being and reason for existing. He wears a white sweater and khaki pants.

From afar, his voice sounds like a normal teacher. Kinda strict and authoritive. Up close? It's like I'm talking to someone I know. I feel like I've known him all my life, just from the way he talks.

Now, my focus is all over the place. "U-um. I-I need to use the um, the..the bathroom. Please," I stutter. My cheeks start getting warmer. He nods and grabs a slip of paper, writing me a pass.

"Ten minutes. Please be back by then," he says, handing me the paper. I take it and smile awkwardly.

"Thanks." I walk out and as soon as the door closes behind me I sigh heavily. "Why am I such a mess today?" Walking to the bathroom, my footsteps echo down the empty halls. It's kind of relaxing.

Reaching the bathroom, I go straight to the sink. I turn on the water and splash some in my face. "Get it together Kei," I whisper to myself. Staring in the mirror, I try my best to clear my head, but honestly? I feel like throwing up. Best to go in a stall for that.