Chapter 17: Scorches of Fire

From behind Marcus could see very little of the encounter. A blood curdling scream echoed through the valley. Marcus was sure if there had been any birds that had not retreated from the fire, they would have flown away.

The fire!

Marcus had gotten caught up in the fighting and the mystery of the dagger. He had not noticed that the fire had started to catch up with them far into the forest. His fear of the fire depleted as he hear yet another string of screams and curses. Before Marcus could ask for the cause, he saw Araya lift the dagger and hit with the blunt end of the hilt.

Araya stood slowly, he back hunched and turned from Marcus.

“Araya-”

Her head snapped around. Marcus notices blood splashed onto the side of her cheek, and some crusting into her flaming scarlet hair. Blood dripped from the tip of the dagger. Marcus took a step back once he made eye contact with her eye, which for a moment, seemed to glow like coals behind anger and rage. He could have sworn he heard a almost inaudible growl grace her lips, but the quick motion of her flipping her head back caused Marcus to guess differently.

Araya’s shoulders shuddered before she once again stood to her full height, and came to notice the fires proximity.

“We need to get out of here. Now.”

Araya moved passed Marcus to get to the section of the forest that had yet to be touched and scorned by the fire. Marcus was finally able to look over to Ralé. He stood in shock while clutching his stomach in order to keep its few contents down.

He was most certainly knocked out, but he wasn’t sure how long his condition would remain the same. His hand been sliced through, it left to lay on ground as the other hand cradled the bleeding wrist.

“Araya… what have you done..?”

“I removed the problem, his sword-fighting wrist. Would you rather I had removed his head?”

“No, but he might die from blood lost!”

Araya remained looking towards the forest, refusing to turn back and look at Marcus. The dagger was still clutched in her hand, dripping blood from the man who laid unconscious.

“He will not, if his men have anything to do about it. Of course it will depend on their level of loyalty, whether it was false or true. It is no longer in our hands, they shall be waking up soon. Which gives us another reason to get going. We must beat this fire and get out of this cursed  forest. Quickly now.”

Without a second thought she dashed away through the forest, leaping over logs gracefully and effortlessly. Marcus struggled to catch up, while attempting to sheathe his sword into its scabbard.

As Marcus attempted to catch up with Araya’s leaps and bounds, his fatigue creeped over his body, reminding him of the effort and exertion he had been put through.