Chapter 52- Mission to Batuu: Pt. I (I'll Love You Forever)

Start from the beginning

The first bullet hit the defensive end of the formation, causing the adjacent soldiers to curse, and fall on top of each other like bowling pins.
"Yea-heh! Take that!" You cheer.
The second shot hits one soldier in the legs, causing her to collapse and wail. The remaining soldiers' gunshots continue to miss you, as an advancing formation of First Order soldiers join in the firing. You realize that this is the perfect distraction.
"Now's my chance..." you mutter.
You cock your blaster and aim it dead ahead for one final shot. Before you can fire, however, you feel another voice.
"The Force is with you" it says, and you pull the trigger.
You don't see it, but you hear the explosion as you run down an alleyway towards the coordinates you were sent to by Ren.
You pass dead Resistance soldiers along the way, some with their assault rifles still clutched in their hands, and you shudder.

This is why I went into droid programming, and not combat... you think.

Then, you see it: the defense control box you were sent to destroy.
You raise your blaster to shoot at it, but something feels...wrong.

Suddenly, you get the strange feeling that you are not alone. You whip around to come face to face with a Resistance fighter: an agile-looking young woman with dark skin, sharp eyes, and dyed blue hair. She looks at you intently, and raises her blaster.
"Trust me," she says, you do NOT want to shoot that" You raise your own blaster in response.
"And why ever would that be?" you snark.
"Because it isn't what I think you think it is," she said, "And if you shoot it out, it's gonna end up killing us all"
What?
"This has got to be the stupidest Resistance trick I've ever heard of." You spit, and aim your gun once again at the metal box.
"That box is the emergency destruction core. Either you know very little about our tech, or you were sent on a suicide mission"
            "Suicide Mission? I was sent to remove your defenses and leave."
            "That box isn't the trigger for our defenses. It's a self destruct panel. A last resort. I didn't think The First Order would send someone in without having all our infrastructure mapped out...and Leia said there'd been an information breach so...You must've been sent out to die. It's the only logical answer...Must suck finally realizing they don't give a shit about you"
            You don't know what to say.
            "You really think I'd be stupid enough to trust you? Step aside..." you manage finally.
            "Then don't trust me," the woman says, "Trust your own instincts. I know you have them".

'She is telling the truth...search your feelings' the voice echoes, "Search them..."

And it hits you like a ton of bricks:

             Kylo Ren just wanted you dead.

             Of course he did...

            You were sent on a suicide mission.
            You had been sent to die—so he wouldn't have to deal with you anymore.

            You let the Resistance woman up and she brushes herself off.
            "Who are you? Why are you helping me?" You ask her.
            "Wouldn't you like to know?," she quips. "Just kidding, name's Vi." she says, "and honestly? I just didn't want you to blow us all up. If you think I care about any of you totalitarian drones, you'd be very wrong....Who are you?".
            "Thanks a lot. I'm [y/n]" you reply.
She smiles.
            "Good to know. I'll be sure to put you on Leia's blacklist."
            You huff.
            "How kind of you"
            "Don't mention it. Now, I'm gonna go disable that self destruct, and you can have a head start on getting the hell out of here... But hey, don't worry. When it comes down to it...We're in this together. So if you ever figure it out that you're just a brainwashed First Order slave...come find me."
You feel your heart grimace.
            "Together? But...you're my enemy. There are two sides to this war. It's one or the other. Amd I believe deeply in the First Order's mission! I'm not brainwashed. I'm not your friend."
She looks at you, almost disappointed.
            "That's what they want us to think, sure. But it isn't true, is it?" She muses.
            "What ever do you mean?"
She glares straight at you.
            "Think about it."
You furrow your brows.
             "There's two sides, but...one Force..." you say softly.
            "That's right." She smiles. "We' can fight all we want for any respective cause, [Y/n]. But in the end, we're just fighting for the right to exist."
            "But your goal is to destroy us. Why are you still talking? Why are you even telling me all this? How do you know I won't just kill you?"
Vi swept her hair back nonchalantly.
           "Just a feeling, I guess."
You really didn't understand rebels...
           "But you can't trust me. You're Resisance, Rebel scum. How can I possibly reason with you?"
            "You can't reason with me," Vi said, "But I know I can reason with you.
You roll your eyes.
          "That's kind of insulting, don't you think?"
            "Hmm, insulting? I don't think so. I'm just being honest."
            "Well it's incredibly self-righteous."
            "I know the truth when I hear it. That's why I feel like we can have a moment of peace. Unless you wanna shoot that thing out and end it all now..."
            "You cannot possibly know my truth." You blurt.
Vi simply laughs.
            "Maybe, maybe not. But what I do know is that your side doesn't typically like to reason. They just like to kill first, and ask questions later. It's an easy way out."
She moves closer to you, lowering her voice.
            "Listen, [y/n]. I can tell when people have the capacity for change. I've seen it before, in your own beloved Order. Some of the cruelest I've spied on have turned to my side...and they're some of our greatest allies. Look...All I'm saying is: you choose your destiny. Not your Leaders. And you deserve the chance to choose it for yourself."
            "My destiny is to destroy you and everything you stand for."
She looks away from you.
            "Fine then, [y/n]," Vi says, pulling a green wire out of the self-destruct box, "You have fun with that."
As she makes a final twist of a screw, the metal panel sparks, and smokes with a defeated hiss.        
            "But when your Order betrays you, don't say I didn't warn you so."
And then, with a vague nod, she disappears into the chaos.

And suddenly, it's just you.

            Everything is just you, standing alone in a collapsing outpost, surrounded by rubble and ash.
But you're not alone...

The Force is with you.

You know that now.

It has always been with you.

"Fuck this shit"

You turn and walk away from the box. In the distance, you hear a sizzling sound.
You see a TIE fighter go down, some electrical residue from a blast, and you realize you need to get out fast—

Because the First Order is losing.

What a surprise...

You turn on your communicator and try to call Hux. No response. But you do hear static over the open channel.
"Armitage...it's me," you say. "Kylo Ren lied...I'm coming back to the ship"
You cut the channel and make a run for it. A flash of electricity smashes into a walkway next to you, but you keep focused on your single goal: Get back to the ship.
"I will escape this place," you say, "And Kylo will regret underestimating me...He'll
regret underestimating Hux..."

"He'll regret all of it"

————————————————-

To be continued...