Chapter 51- The Assignment

It was about mid-day when the navigation system on the bridge began blinking, signaling that the Finalizer was in about 2 day's proximity to the system surrounding Batuu.
"Officer [Y/n]", said a voice from behind that almost made you jump.
             You turned around to see that it was who else but Officer Gerda, glancing up determinedly from her data pad.
"Oh hey Gerda! What is it?"
Gerda pushed back a strand of curled auburn hair and spoke:
"Well..." she said, "Supreme Leader Ren has instructed me to inform you that he wants to meet with you as soon as possible in Snoke's—I mean—in his throne room."
Kylo...
"Right," You said, hoping that Gerda did not detect the sharp pang of nervousness that shot through your body when she said it, "Thank you. Right away."
Gerda gave a professional, yet somehow overly-cheery grin that seemed to say, 'just doing my job!' as she walked away.
Huh, you thought, I guess it's finally time to find out what Ren has in store for me.
You looked desperately across the room to Hux, who stood sternly at the front of the bridge. You met his stern blue eyes, and you longed deeply for him to go with you.
            But, or course, this was something you had to do alone. He gave you a small nod of reassurance—which you hoped nobody else on the bridge saw—and you made your way across the ship for your meeting with the man who frightened you the most.

            Everything is fine, you told yourself,
I'll get my mission, and I'll prove myself valuable. There is nothing whatsoever to be afraid of.

            Nothing to be afraid of at all.

______________________________

            When you reached the outside of the throne room, your heart was pounding. You hadn't expected to be this nervous—but, as always, you kept it together.
            Two white-clad stormtroopers stood in front of the entrance hall, each holding electrified resonator maces, which they crossed over the doorway.
            "State your name and position," the one on the left crackled.
            "Officer [Y/n]," you said automatically, holding up your ID entry on your data pad, "Bridge Officer. Droid Coder. Vessel Repair Technician...Former General's assistant."
            The trooper looked to the other, who then asked, "General Hux's assistant?"
            You nodded, though you felt your mouth going dry.
            "Yes. Affirmative. I was General Hux's assistant. But am no longer."
            The trooper on the right looked back to the other, as if communicating something unspoken, and he nodded.
            "Right. Supreme Leader Ren is waiting for you," he said, as both troopers lowered their weapons, "You may proceed".
            "Thank you," you replied stiffly, as you pulled yourself up by the spine and started down the hallway through the large airlock door.
            You had to walk for a quite awhile before you came upon another airlock, which was flanked by two Praetorian guards in gleaming red armor.
            "I am..here to see the Supreme Leader..." you said.
            The two faceless guards simply nodded, and gestured for you to enter, like giant pieces in a game of space chess.

And then, you walked in...
And doors shut behind you....

You had never seen the throne room yourself, but your first thought was that it was very dramatic: its walls bright red, and the floor a shimmering obsidian black.
            It was everything you had imagined it to look like and more.
            And there, dressed as always in black, sitting too-casually on the tall slate grey throne, was Supreme Leader Kylo Ren.
           "How does it feel, [Y/n], to see me on this throne?" He asked, almost sarcastically.
             "I...Well.." you sputtered.
            "—Personally, I think it looks kind of silly," Kylo continued, "Melodramatic...Much more General Hux's taste than mine..."
For a moment you could've sworn there was a hint of longing in Kylo's eyes...
          "But it's mine......because I don't want what Hux wants," Kylo said, "I don't want to simply look like I have power...I want to have it."
            You felt your heart scream as Kylo swept a gloved hand through his unruly black hair.
            "And in order to make sure that I have it," he said, rising from his seat, "I need to ensure that others do not. That the Resistance does not. Do you understand?"     
            You nodded enthusiastically.
            "Yes, Supreme Leader. Perfectly."
            By then, Kylo Ren had made his way confidently down from the throne, and was standing a few feet ahead of you. There was something about him that simmered—and you agreed that the throne really wasn't suited for him: He seemed almost out of place against it—not that he wasn't menacing.
            But Kylo Ren wasn't the type to get others to do the dirty work for him: For Kylo Ren, all work was dirty work, and in fact, perhaps the only deciding factor of who did it was the expectation that Kylo would reserve the dirtiest work for himself. If there were enemies worth facing, Ren would be the one to challenge them.
            Everybody else was simply backup.
            "Do you know why I've called you here, Officer [Y/n]?" He said, looking right at you.
            "To receive my mission?" You asked, naïvely.
Kylo almost grinned.
"Correct. I am going to give you an undercover assignment... I have a very specific job in mind for you. Do you think you're up to it?"
You nodded emphatically.
"Yes, Supreme Leader, I am. I'm up to anything. Whatever you ask."
"Hmm..."
Kylo paused for a moment, his demeanor shifting slightly, as if he was surprised by your obedience.
             He let out a deep, almost pained breath.
"I don't hate you, you know." He blurted.
You were taken aback, needing a moment to make sure you hadn't completely hallucinated what Kylo had just said.
"You...you don't?" You gaped.
You felt almost nauseous.
"I feel anger towards you, it's true," Kylo said, "But in channeling the Dark Side, I use that anger to fuel me. I know you feel anger too"
             You opened your mouth to protest.
            "—Do not try to hide it," Kylo interrupted, "You are capable of so much, can you feel it?"
You could feel your blood pulsing.
"Yes," you said, "I can feel it, Supreme Leader."
            Kylo looked pleased.
"Good. Your assignment," he said finally, "is that you will travel undetected through Blackspire Outpost, to a set of coordinates which I shall provide you with—to a specific section of the Resistance base there, which I have located"
"Okay...alright..."
"On the rooftop, there is a power generator. Similar to the ones in the TIE dock backups...It is the source, that locks the Resistance's security defenses in place. You will blast it to pieces, and then they will be vulnerable. Useless."
"Power generator...blast it to pieces...got it. Sounds easy enough."
            Kylo raised a brow.
"First, you must make it through the Outpost undetected...I will be sending in other troopers, but I cannot do this until you report directly back to me that the generator has been destroyed."
            "So...I'll have to blend in," you said, "I see."
            "Once you complete the mission, you will return back to the Finalizer. During this time, The First Order will attack. You will have to move quickly. Or you will die."
            A chill ran up your spine, but you brushed it off.
            "Don't worry, Supreme Leader," you assured Kylo, as well as yourself, "I'm fast. I can do it. I will do it."
            Kylo shrugged contentedly.
            "Wonderful," he said, "I do not doubt it."
You felt an odd surge of both pride and confusion at this.
             Kylo was being...oddly nice to you? Well, as nice as Kylo could be. He had never really behaved this way around you before. It was almost...charming? That deep, intense look in his eyes was enough to make anyone feel something—whether it was curiosity or discomfort, you couldn't say.
            You understood why Hux had been attracted to him. But at the same time, you sensed there was something else behind Ren's strange energy that you weren't picking up...
"Supreme Leader," you said finally, "I will not let you down, I swear."
            "Good," he said, "Wonderful. You are dismissed."
            You gave a humble bow, before turning to leave.
            "Oh— And [Y/n]?" Kylo said, calling after you.
            "Yes, Supreme Leader?"
            "...Tell General Hux to prepare to receive his orders. I will be sending for him shortly."
            "Yes, Supreme Leader. I will tell him."
           And as you made your way back to the bridge, what you didn't see was Kylo's look of conflict as the airlock closed behind you.
            You simply looked straight ahead, ready as ever to prove yourself once and for all.