Chapter 24: A German Friend

Start from the beginning

A commotion grew in the door frame, drawing the attention of the nurses and the patients. Adeline pulled Eloise toward the mass, all hoping to hear the news that the officers brought. Eloise felt the eyes Captain Everett burning into her as she stood there. She dropped her head and crossed her arms over her body. Eloise watched him as he began to speak. The arrogance in him made Eloise's stomach turn. Although he hadn't done anything to her, she despised him.

"A German pilot has been shot down." Adeline whispered excitedly into Eloise's ear, before slinking away.

Her eyes grew wide at the news. The excitement in the room made her a bit uneasy, fearing that it was Albert who had been killed. She felt her heart sink into her stomach, causing it to turn circles. Bad thoughts flooded her tired mind.

"Is he in the room?" her voice softly trembled, glancing up at Adeline.

With the assuring nod of Adeline, Eloise silently vanished from the crowd. She clicked through the hallways until she arrived at the hall's end. Although the heavy door stood open wide, an unwelcoming sensation filled Eloise. She rested her nervous hands upon her stomach and took a deep breath. The visual of deceased bodies could be seen within. The mere sight of them twisted her stomach into knots, leaving her feeling nauseous. She was uncertain if she could mentally handle what she was going to find inside. The unknowing terrified her into a state of madness.

Knowing that she could not wait any longer, she hesitantly passed through the doorframe. Eloise could feel her heart pounding heavily within her chest, fearing who she would find. The heavy dread she carried weighted her down, making every step nearly impossible.

Her eyes studied the room. The light from the many windows illuminated the white walls, creating a grotesque glow upon the deceased. Long tables surrounded the parameter of the large room. Upon these platforms were bodies respectfully displayed. As Eloise passed the men, she could finally see peace on their faces. They were men who had been violated from the horrors of war—they deserved peace.

With hesitant steps, Eloise moved past the tables. With every passing step, her breaths became shallow. The sound of her heels against the hard floor kept her mind focused. Albert could be dead, she knew it. She was aware that his face could appear before her in matter of seconds. The idea of his death terrified her.

She halted in the middle of the room and scanned the bodies. Faces of strangers passed in front of her eyes until a familiar silhouette formed in the corner. She steadied herself as she approached the motionless body. Laying before her was Moritz. She could see that his body had been badly charred during his demise. With a gentle hand, she ran her hand along his burned face inching her touch toward his hair.

"Do you know him?" Adeline asked confused, appearing in the doorway.

Adeline stared concernedly at Eloise, watching her actions carefully. Eloise remained silent as she looked on the face of a man she knew. Although she hadn't known him long, she still felt a wave of grief upon his death. Her mind faded back to the days she had spent with him at the airfields. Memories from then were kept in a vault, locked away deep within her heart. No words of her days spent there were uttered from her lips.

"So, Eloise," the faintness of Adeline's voice brought Eloise back. "Do you know him?"

A half-smile formed on the corner of mouth as she shook her head. "No."

"He isn't the Black Knight, but he is one from his squadron." Adeline informed disappointedly, moving to Eloise's side. "He is no one special, just an airman."

Eloise looked back down at him, noticing the familiar German medals—many were the same of Albert. The words of Adeline spiraled in her mind. Moritz was a special man in the eyes of Eloise. He was the man who adored his airplane and was skilled at rebuilding the engines. She thought of his love of books and the joy it brought him to share with her. She glanced down at blistered lips and reminisced on the contagious smile that they once held. She knew that the news of his death would devastate his beloved mother, whom he cherished dearly.