Chapter 11 - Narcissa's invitation

The weeks wore on, and gradually my mental state improved. This had mostly to do with a counsellor (a non-magical Half-Blood who lived in the Muggle world, with a Muggle qualification in counselling), who I saw every week, but also largely to do with a certain dark-haired boy who had recently become my boyfriend.

Just before Christmas, I was sitting on the green sofa in the common room, Harry opposite me on the red one, when there was a soft tapping at the window. I crossed the room and found none other than my own family owl tapping to get in. Surprised that my parents hadn't waited at least until breakfast for the regular post, I opened the window and gritted my teeth against the freezing gale outside while the owl (whose name was Mercury) hopped in.

I curiously untied her letter, but she lingered expectantly rather than flapping off to the owlery.

"Harry?" I called over my shoulder, where Harry was still working on his Transfiguration notes. "You got any owl treats?"

"I think so." He replied. "I'll go check my trunk."

I opened the letter, which was in my mother's handwriting.

Dear Draco,

Your father and I were most grieved to receive the news that you wished to remain at Hogwarts over the half term break. If it was because of a special someone - which I suspect it was - you are welcome to bring them to the manor over Christmas. Please do come and see us. The manor is too quiet in your absence.

Love,
Mother

I'd come out to Mother just after I came out to Blaise and Pansy, and she'd taken it rather well, but she still acted sometimes like I was bi, I think to give her peace of mind that I still liked girls or something. In a way I felt sorry for her. I knew she'd always wanted grandkids. But as long as she accepted I liked guys, I'd be fine bringing a boyfriend home, and that was all that really mattered.

Well, I hadn't come out to my father yet. I wasn't sure how well he'd take it.

A clatter in the stairwell brought Harry with a treat for Mercury, which I gave to her and she accepted.

"Can you stay in the owlery for a bit?" I asked her. "I want to send my reply back with you."

She clicked her beak softly, which I took to mean yes, and flapped up to the tower.

"What was the letter about?" Asked Harry.

"Mother inviting you to stay over Christmas." I replied casually.

"You told her already? About us?"

"No, she guessed the reason I stayed over half term was because of a... special someone, as she put it. And invited that special someone to stay for Christmas."

"That was sweet of her. But I don't know what your father would say if I- if we..."

"He can deal with it." I said fiercely. "It's not up to him whether I have a boyfriend or not. And my mother knows I'm gay so she's probably told him anyway."

"Well I'll definitely tell Ron... but that's going to involve coming out to him."

"Set a time and place to meet up," I suggested. "You can explain everything there."

"Okay," he said, visibly nervous, "guess I'll send him an owl. Invite him to the Three Broomsticks or something." He glanced at me. "You okay?"

"Yeah, just - can I come?" I asked, the words out before I could stop them. "It's just- well- telling Weasley- I mean Ron- that we're together involves you telling him I'm gay... and I'd kind of rather I tell people myself and-"

"Draco, I'd never out you." He interrupted me. "If you don't want to come out to Ron that's fine and I'll just say I want to stay with my boyfriend over Christmas, and if you're okay with him knowing you're gay, then you're mad if you think I'd announce our relationship in a public place without you being there."

My heart swelled at his words. If I hadn't already loved him, I did now. He was truly the best thing I ever could have hoped for.

I grinned broadly.

"I'll be there. I think I'm ready to tell the world about us."

***
*Harry/narrator pov*
The note was as concise as he could make it.

Ron-
I don't know how busy you are at the Ministry right now but I know you normally get weekends off, so could we meet for lunch at the Three Broomsticks this Saturday? Let me know A.S.A.P. if you can make it, I have something important to tell you and I'd like to do it in person.
Harry

Harry sent it off with a school screech owl before heading up to bed.

The next morning over breakfast, the owl he'd sent off last night nearly knocked over his porridge. Harry quickly untied Ron's reply.

Harry-
Got a few things on Saturday morning to take care of but can meet you at 2pm. Hermione says she's coming too.
Ron

Since today was Friday they would be meeting Ron tomorrow, and the week after that the Christmas holidays would begin. Harry thought guiltily that he was probably cutting it a bit fine to tell Ron... well, maybe he could spend most of the holidays with Ron's family and then just the week of Christmas Eve/Day/Boxing Day etc with the Malfoys? Mrs Weasley would probably be disappointed but George had already announced that he had to work all except Christmas Day itself because people would undoubtedly want to do last-minute Christmas shopping at Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, Bill was having Christmas with Fleur's family... surely Harry could bail as well?

He got some parchment and started writing:

Dear Mrs Weasley,
I don't know if I'm going to stay at the Burrow for Christmas this year. I love you all as my family, but I've met someone this year that I really like, whose mother has invited me to stay for Christmas... I don't want to hurt you and I would love to spend Christmas with you but equally I really want to stay with them.
Harry

-and sent it off with the owl that had delivered Ron's note after rereading it a couple of times to make sure it sounded okay. He didn't want to come out to Mrs Weasley - not because he expected her to be homophobic, but because she definitely wouldn't approve of him going out with he man who had bullied the Golden Trio throughout their time at Hogwarts, and the second it came out he had a boyfriend she would want to know who it was. He couldn't lie to her. Keeping in the closet was the safest option right now, until he was prepared to deal with Mrs Weasley's wrath.

A piece of porridge landed on his glasses. He'd been staring into space, he realised with a jolt. Looking around, he wondered who it had been, but it didn't take long to find the culprit. Draco, despite his best efforts to look innocent, was having a lot of trouble hiding his smirk.

A/N
Sorry I know that was a bit of a filler... hope you enjoyed it anyway :)