chapter - 17

Start from the beginning

"Oh, if you're looking for Naruto, he's here.", Hanako informs him as she notices the confused man, "Come in please.", Hanako smiles at him.

"Naruto-kun, Kakashi-sensei is here."

"Oh, Kaka-sensei? What're you doing here?"

Kakashi didn't speak for a while, he eyes the two teenagers in front of him.

"Are you both together?", Kakashi blurts out, making the Shinozaki blush.

"Duh? We're here, in the same house.", Naruto says without hesitation.

"N-no, Naruto-kun, he means if we're dating.", Hanako explains, knowing how clueless of an idiot her friend is when it comes to relationships. This leaves Naruto a blushing mess as well.

How could I miss that? I answered so confidently.

He facepalms internally, embarrassed by his answer.

"So are you?"

"No!"

"No!"

They answered in unison, not wanting the topic to go on.

"Hm, alright.", they both sigh in relief that Kakashi dropped the subject, "Tsunade-sama is summoning you to her office."

"Huh? Why?", Naruto asks, not wanting to leave Hanako so soon when he just got back.

Hanako notices his hesitation in going.

"Naruto-kun, it's alright, I'll be cooking you food while you go there, okay?", Hanako assures him and he nods in reply.

"Alright, I'll come back as soon as I can Hanako-chan.", he hugs the girl out of habit, completely forgetting that Kakashi was in the same room.

Hanako was surprised on how open he was with hugging her even though his sensei was right there. She looks at him and sees that he was watching them.

Geez, what's with the look Kakashi-sensei?

Meanwhile, Kakashi is looking at them, feeling happy that Naruto was getting the care that he didn't have since he was a child.

He definitely needs someone, especially after he hears the news that Tsunade will tell him.

Hanako just finished cooking lunch for him, now she's just waiting for his return.

What's taking him so long? Did he go on another mission?

She wonders about him. While doing so, she asks herself the question that has been troubling her for quite some time.

Am I catching feelings for him?

She thinks back to the moment when she just met Naruto. He was a rude idiot but when her anxiety attacked, he shouted for her life even though they've just met.

"Don't think I'll let you die without being happy!"

Hanako smiles at the memory. She thought it was odd back then because it's been a long time since someone wanted to fight for her life. It has been a long time since she was attached to someone, and someone was attached to her. It has been a long time since she woke up feeling like she finally has a future ahead of her, and she wasn't going to spend it alone.

Do I like him? What is the meaning of 'like' anyway?

She starts to question the word. Hanako frowns as she thought of it. She feels the same way for Sakura, right? Maybe it's just because she did not have a friend like them for so long that she feels like she's catching romantic feelings for the blonde.

He's like that with his friends, he would find it odd if I confess all of the sudden. No, I'm not even sure if I really have feelings for him.

She thinks of this too long, too long that hours have already passed and it was getting late.

"He isn't back yet?", she mutters sadly. Naruto would never ditch her, she was in his house.

I'm so fucking attached to him it's annoying. I feel like I'm forcing myself in his life. Is he just too kind to tell me to back off?

She sighs once more. She stands up and reheats the food that she made. Hanako heats up water for instant ramen to add to their meal. Hopefully, he comes home.

Her wish was fulfilled when the door opens. She smiles widely, happy for his return. Unfortunately, the expression on her friend's face wasn't entirely the expression that she was expecting. It looked like he has been crying for hours.

"Naruto-kun? What's wrong? Are you okay?", she quickly dashes to his side. Naruto didn't say anything but he hugs her for comfort. She pats his back as hugs him as tight as she could. Hanako can feel the heaviness of his emotions.

"Pervy Sage, he didn't make it. He was killed on the mission Granny sent him.", Hanako's heart breaks in two when she heard the words go out of his mouth.