chapter - 03

„dullness and warmth"

Happy

When was I ever happy? When was the last time I laughed genuinely? When was the last time I ever felt something so pleasant?

Mia has been staying in an apartment near Naruto's. It's been almost a week since she's been discharged from the hospital. Her wounds were healed but what the Hokage had told her remained. She was suffering a lot, losing sleep, and barely eating.

This attitude made the pink-haired kunoichi worried.

So Sakura, along with Naruto, knocked on Mia's door bringing fruits and a few snacks.

"Come in, its open.", a feminine voice belonging to the troubled girl was heard.

Mia was dressed only in a black oversized shirt. She wasn't allowed to go out and shop for clothes. So naturally, she wore what came with the apartment.

Sakura was the first person to step in and saw the apartment. It was similar to Naruto's but cleaner.

"Mia-chan? Here are some fruits we bought you.", Sakura said.

Mia revealed herself, shocking the two visitors by her appearance. Her hair was tied in a very messy bun, there are visible bags under her eyes, and she was basically only wearing a shirt.

"N-naruto! Don't look!", Sakura panicked and covered the blonde's eyes.

"Oh? Naruto-kun is with you? I didn't know.", Mia said as Sakura notices her dull eyes.

Naruto takes of his jacket and tosses it to Mia. She was confused and stared at the jacket for a minute, then later on gets it and ties the jacket around her waist.

"Thank you, Naruto-kun.", Mia said softly.

"No problem Mia-chan!", the blonde grins at her, which soon falters at the sight that he was seeing. She looked so lifeless.

"Are you okay?", Sakura says as she grabs Mia's shoulders. Mia just nodded.

"Thank you for the fruits, Sakura-chan."

"No problem! But, it seems like you're lacking clothes.", Sakura furrowed her eyebrows, "I might have some extra clothes that can fit you! Naruto, stay here, I'll get it."

"Sakura-chan, you really don't have to—", Mia was cut off by Sakura smiling at her widely.

"It's my mission to protect you, and that comes with you being comfortable!", with that, Sakura goes to get clothes for Mia. Leaving a certain blonde at her side.

"Gomen, Naruto-kun, I don't have a couch. You can sit at my bed.", the girl said shyly.

"Sure thing, Mia-chan!", he replied happily.

It was very awkward. The two teens were just staring at different directions, not knowing what to say. After some time, Mia was consumed by her thoughts. The memories of her "parents".

She remembers the times they were eating together, the times that her father would tell her how he loves fishing by the lake, and the times her mother would teach her how to cook.

The girl looked at Naruto. She stared at him, not knowing if she should ask him a question or not.

"Hm? What is it Mia-chan?", Naruto asked her as he noticed her stare.

"A-ano, Naruto-kun, what should you feel if you found out that your parents weren't really your parents?", she asks him.

"Sorry Mia-chan, I don't really know how to answer your question because I don't have parents.", the blonde says sadly.

Mia's eyes widened in surprise. She didn't know what to do or what to say.

"Sorry! I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have asked.", Mia bows in shame.

"N-no! It's okay!"

Geez, I don't know if I should be glad that she's excessively polite or feel uncomfortable about it.

Naruto notices her sad look again and decides to talk to her.

"Why are you so sad Mia?"

"Why won't I be?", Mia looks at him in disbelief as she becomes a little aggravated towards his question, "I just found out that my parents are fake! I can't remember a single thing about my childhood.", the girls shakes in frustration and anger as she raises them.

Eventually, she drops her hands.

"I don't even know who I am. Where I'm really from. What if I was taken from my real parents? What if I had siblings?", Mia breaks down. It was hard keeping it all bottled up inside her. Her tears fell down as her legs give out.

Naruto looks at her sadly. He went to her and raises her chin up with his hand.

"Mia-chan, you shouldn't feel sad or betrayed towards those who took care of you ya'know? I mean, were they bad parents? Did they beat you up?", Naruto asks her.

"No.", she looks away.

"Then instead of moping around, shouldn't you be happy and thankful that you had them as parents?"

Upon hearing this, Mia looks at Naruto. This guy, who she just met a week ago, was making an effort to make her feel better.

But is she really feeling better?

"It isn't that easy, Naruto-kun.", she manages to say in between sobs.

"It isn't, that's why Sakura-chan and I are here to help you.", Naruto says, "it's okay to feel sad but don't stain your parents' image with bad assumptions. You might regret it ya'know?"

Mia looks at him, "Thank you."

Naruto flashes his signature grin at her, feeling satisfied that he made her feel a bit better.

"Hey.", Naruto says, causing her to tilt her head in confusion. Naruto places his fingers at the corner of Mia's lips to create a smile.

"There, much better. Right?", the in front of him nodded as she looks at him in amazement.

He has a weird obsession with making me happy, but that doesn't mean he isn't kind. He is really, really kind-hearted.

The girl yawned and closes her eyes to rest from sobbing. It was the first time she cried about it. She always felt emptiness from her uneventful life but this void has been filled by sadness and guilt. It felt like her the insides of her chest is being pulled down by the heaviness.

"Eh? She fell asleep in my hand?", Naruto said as he noticed the blue-haired girl snoring lightly.

He carried her and laid her carefully down in her bed, avoiding the fact that his jacket was hanging low from her waist. He unties his jacket from the girl's waist and proceeds to cover her lower half with it, acting as a small blanket.

He sits down besides her as he lays back. His mind wanders around and about. He looks at her once again and sighs.

How will I let her see that her life matters?

Sakura opened the door of Mia's apartment as she walks in with a smile. It was quiet and peaceful. She carries the clothes she gathered excitingly, wanting Mia to wear it.

"Mia-chan? Naruto?", she looks around and discovered two comfortable sleeping figures. Their arms were wrapped each other.

"Oh Naruto, isn't this against the rules?", however, she still smiles at the sight, "At least he comforted her."

Sakura lays down with them, eventually falling asleep by Mia's side.