“Come on, Nika. Lumaban ka. I need you to fight, baby. Come on,” The crack in his voice didn’t escape my ears. And when I turned my eyes up to look at his face, I saw fear and pain combined in his features. 

“You can give up but I won’t,” he whispered in full sincerity and hope before facing the team. 

“Everybody clear and turn on the AED,” he commanded. His voice was so firm and full of authority, his tone was full of ‘now or never’. Like he’s a damn soldier ready to give everything to fight this battle against life and death for Nika. 

“This feels like a déjà vu,” Nurse Nick whispered that none of us failed to hear. 

And then I remembered the angel’s name that he mentioned to Bree. 

Ariana. 

Ramirez shot him a quick glance. “But I’m not going to announce the time of death tonight. Not this time,” aniya sa mababa at desidong tono. 

“Defib pads,” he said. I was persistent to save Nika but he was more persistent. I can do nothing about that. This is his battle, I can’t intervene. 

“Charge 250,” 

He looks so persistent and brave, ready to screw every damn grim reaper who would try to even touch a tip of the finger of the pulseless woman lying in front of him. 

“Clear,”

Nika’s chest raised up and then it fell again. There’s still no pulse. 

“Char 300,”

I put a hand to cover my mouth, carefully hiding my sobs as tears kept on falling from my eyes. 

“Clear,”

I waited for her pulse. Still none. My chest was painfully clenching as every second passed by. Please, Nika. Lumaban ka. Hindi ko mapapatawad ang sarili ko. 

“Charge 350,” 

God, please. She doesn’t deserve to leave. Not yet. All these years she has been fighting her battles silently. She can’t be gone, not until she gets the peace and happiness that she deserves.

“Clear,”

Nagsimula na akong manginig dahil hanggang ngayon ay wala pa rin. I have conclusions and diagnosis running in mind just by looking at her, conclusions and diagnosis that I don’t want to accept. 

I looked at Ryan. The hope and persistence in his features were slowly getting dimmed by his fears. 

He shut his eyes for a split second, clenching his jaw hard. “Charge 400,” he commanded through clenched teeth. His eyes were beginning to moist. He looks so damn scared. 

I am too.

“Clear,” he said. I watched Nika’s chest raised up, as if the world just turned slow. Even with the way her chest fell down once again, it was still painfully slow in my sight. 

My eyes were still fixed at Nika, waiting for her pulse to return. Every second that passes by feels like a minute. I can even hear the beat of my heart against my ear. 

Still no pulse. 

I fixed my eyes at Nika who still looked beautiful despite her pulseless body. I’ve always adored her beauty ever since we were just in highschool. I liked how she can rock every outfit she wears.  I like how good her heart is despite the wrong choices that she kept on doing in her life. She’s a good person who does bad things. 

I closed my eyes and a tear from my left eye fell after I did. 

It was a rainy morning and I was in the 9th grade.