Chapter 12

Chapter 12

It’s A Beautiful Day To Ruin Someone’s Day

It was already December, a month where the night breeze seems a little cold and a cup of hot chocolate that’s placed on a table beside you while you’re sitting in the balcony of your room would be nice. 

Damn… I used to love and hate Christmas. Yes, Love and hate. Two contradicting emotions and there’s no in between. 

I loved Christmas simply because I am once again free from school, from the bullies, insults, plus, we’ve got tons of holiday special dishes served almost every week. But despite all the nice things that December could offer, I couldn’t help but to hate it as I love it at the same time. 

Parati kasing wala ang mga magulang ko. They’re both a man and a woman of medicine. Dad is a surgeon, mom is gynecologist. And people who are working in the medical field don’t have holidays so, I always end up celebrating Christmas alone.

“Hija, grabe talaga ang pinayat mo! Hindi mo talaga bagay! Para kang anorexic!” Tita Karen’s voice pulled me back in reality. 

We are currently having our dinner, kumpleto kami ngayon dahil nandito ang Mom at Dad ko. And Tita Karen showed up kanina para bigyan kami noong macaroons na binili pa daw niya sa ibang bansa so, Mom and Dad decided to invite her to have dinner with us. 

“Hindi ka lang sanay, Karen… Syempre, nasanay kayong mataba siya kaya naninibago ka.” Depensa ng Dad ko. 

“No, hindi lang talaga bagay ng anak mo ang sobrang payat, Kuya! Diyos ko, Mona. Kumain ka nang marami, hija! I will send you another box of my macaroons tomorrow,” She said in horror as she looks at me like I’m someone who just catched a virus with no cure. 

“Thank you, Karen but my daughter don’t need your unhealthy macaroons. She is fine, she’s eating healthy and she does exercises regularly. You have nothing to worry about,” Mom interjected flashing her smile, that kind of smile that seems like it’s taking every ounce of her not to stab Tita Karen with a fork. 

I noticed the subtle scrunch on Tita Karen’s face. “I was just trying to help. If I pushed her to lose weight before then maybe I can push her to gain weight again… Para sa pamangkin ko naman ang ginagawa ko dahil ayokong nagmumukha siyang anorexic.” Depensa pa niya like she’s the most good example aunt in the whole fucking world.

And did she just made anorexic sound like an insult? Tangina. Anorexia is an illness, it’s not a way to describe someone’s body! 

“Look at her collarbones! My God! They’re super prominent! Okay lang sana kung kaunting collarbone lang ang litaw… Mas healthy pang tingnan.” 

I clenched my teeth. No matter how you look, fat or skinny, people will always find a way to make you feel bad about yourself, huh? 

Mula sa pagkain ko, nag-angat ako nang tingin kay Tita Karen na nakaupo sa harapan ko. 

“Tita, it’s not you who pushed me to lose weight. It’s me. It’s my choice. And I want to keep my body this way. And not because a person is skinny, doesn’t mean that she’s anorexic.There are a lot of people who are suffering from anorexia, let’s be sensitive and choose our words wisely. Excuse me, magrereview pa ako para sa exam bukas.” 

I pushed my chair backwards after excusing myself. Hindi ko na sila hinintay makasagot at tinalikuran ko na sila. I didn’t even get the chance to scan their reactions but them being speechless is enough to let me know that I have made a good point.