Chapter 6

Chapter 6

C. H. Ponce de Leon

I lost count of how many glasses have I downed since they started giving me another one after finishing the first shot. Nagtuloy-tuloy iyon at kahit hindi ko gusto ang lasa ay tiniis ko. They were asking me in a very nice manner kaya hindi ako makatanggi. 

I was so used of them not being nice to me that it’ll make me feel guilty if I reject their offer. 

I was starting to feel dizzy and I can hear the boys laughing and Nika’s small giggles. I’m not sure what they’re laughing about but I did, too. 

Hindi ko alam kung ano ang nakakatawa pero tumatawa ako. I can’t even feel my face anymore and my vision is kinda hazy. Sumandal ako sa inuupuan ko at napahilot sa sentido ko. 

“I’m… I’m dizzy. I need to go home,” I told them in between my giggles. 

“H’wag ka muna. Maaga pa! It’s just 7 in the evening!” Nika said, handing me another glass. “Come on, last na ‘to…” She handed me another glass. 

Umiling ako habang natatawa. “Ayoko na…” Tanggi ko. 

Ngumuso siya. “Come on… Just one. Please?” She asked politely. 

I chuckled. “Okay, okay. Since you’re asking nicely,” I said, accepting her offer. 

“Nice! Ang bait mo talaga, Mona!” I heard Logan’s voice while I was downing the last shot that Nika handed me. 

“Kayo lang naman ang hindi mabait sa’kin…” Napanguso ako sabay punas sa gilid ng bibig ko gamit ang likod ng palad ko. “Why is it so hot?” I asked, fanning myself. 

Tiningnan ko sila and they were just looking at me with expressions that I failed to read. 

I smiled at them and I suddenly felt a pang on my chest as my eyes scanned the three of them. “You know, all the words you guys say and all the things you do to me… I may act nonchalant about it but everything, every single thing stays inside my head.” I honestly told them as I felt my lips began to quiver.

I don’t even know where I’m getting this courage to speak up. It’s just suddenly coming out and I cannot stop. 

“Drama,” Nika muttered something under her breath that I failed to hear. 

I fought the urge of my eyes to close just so that I could look at them properly. “In no matter what I do or whatever decision that I’m trying to make, I can still hear your voices telling me how unworthy I am, how unlovable I am… Your voices became the chains on my ankles, causing me to hold back from gaining that confidence and self love that I deserve to have.” I gasped when I felt myself, close to crying. Dang! Kanina tumatawa ako, ngayon naman ay naiiyak ako. 

“Pero kahit gano’n, I still care for you guys because I don’t want you to experience the same pain that you all made me experienced. I don’t want anyone to feel that same pain. That’s why I want to ask you a favor.” 

My vision is really getting hazy, I can see their silhouette but not their faces. I can’t really tell the expression that they’re giving me at the moment. 

I heard Adam cleared his throat. “What favor?” 

“H’wag niyong gagawin sa iba ang ginagawa niyo sa’kin… Because the things that might not be a big deal to you can cause a bigger impact to someone. Not all people are mentally and emotionally strong to endure the crap that the world keeps throwing at them. We do not have the same capacity when it comes to handling things that concerns our mental and emotional state. I’m telling you, even a simple word can take away a person’s vibrant spirit or worse… life. So, please, be kind and be mindful for what other’s feeling.” I plead.