My Penpal and My Past

I have time; the message from Lucas read. Should I tell him, the only other person I had told was Jess and I had only given her some vague details not the full story, then again she was my only friend so I didn't have that many people to tell anyway. Maybe I should tell him, I am trying to be his friend, so maybe if I open up to him he'll open up to me. So I respond:

Alright, but sit tight. It's a long story

[Flashback to 5 years ago when I was 19 years old]

"Yara-Idah Valentine if you don't get your butt down here in the next 15 seconds we are going to leave without you!" I hear my mom yelling from down the stairs.

"I'm coming MA!" I yell back rolling my eyes. I always hated going to these family BBQs, the people that were there weren't even our real family anyway, they were just people my parents met when they first got married and moved here to Chicago. My real family, my parents' brothers and sister, all my cousins and my grandparents were all back in South Africa, and I hated that we hardly ever got to visit them.

I grab my purse from my night stand and rush down the stairs to see my three brothers, two sisters and my parents all waiting for me. "Finally Idah, we've been waiting on your for hours now" My sister Zola teases

"Yeah and I thought mom took long to get ready" My twin brother Jamie says with a chuckle earning him a glare from my mother.

"Whatever" I say to both of them playfully rolling my eyes.

"Okay, let's hurry up everybody, we are already late" My father says now practically pushing us out the door.

When we get to the driveway my mother says "Boys you can ride with your dad in his car and I'll drive the girls" We all get into our designated cars and start the drive to the BBQ.

"Mom don't forget that we have to pick Eve up on the way" My other sister Ricky says. Ricky is short for Arike. Eve lived next door to us, she was our friend and practically family, but what nobody except my twin brother Jamie knew was that as of two week prior Eve was my girlfriend. No one in my family knew I was bi sexual yet except for Jamie of course. It wasn't that I was afraid to tell them, it was that I wasn't sure whether it was real or I was just going through a phase, it was only when I started hanging out with Eve that I knew that I wasn't just Bi curious, and I had planned on coming out to my family on a day that we were all together.

"Alright honey" My mother says replying to Ricky. We pull up in front of Eve's gate and she's already waiting for us, when she gets in the car smiles at me and I get butterflies in my tummy

"Hey everybody" Eve greets us all in her usual cheery voice, and we all greet her back.

The drive to the country club where the BBQ was happening doesn't take very long. Yes I said country club. I forgot to mention that my family is super rich. My mother; Fikile Valentine is a lawyer and the managing partner at her firm Goldberg Valentine Zane. And my father; Kabelo/ KB Valentine is a music producer and he owned the record label Valentine records. So, because we were rich and because my mother was a lawyer we did rich people stuff like go to country clubs, which was something that no one in my family actually liked doing, including my mother, but we did it for her and she had to do it for the sake of her partners who had also become our family.

When we get to the country club, we all go our separate ways, we mingle a little, dance and have some meat, but after 15 minutes I go hide out in the bathroom, I had had enough of socialising. When I open the door I see Eve, it looks like she had the same idea as me.

"Hey pretty lady" I greet her with a smile

"Hi baby" she greets back with a sigh of relief before coming to give me a hug.