Chapter 29- Boarding

Start from the beginning

I smiled and cleared my throat. "My father is seated behind us and most likely has his four eyes on me."

I was grown but that didn't exempt me from my father's scolding. It was all thanks to the elevator accident and self guilt that I escaped a mighty chastisement for getting pregnant. But I was sure to get one if he caught me hugging or being pecked by a strange man at an airport terminal while I was pregnant for another man-one who was getting married this moment.

"Oh! Hands off then," he laughed. "Take care of you and my babies."

I smiled at his joke. "Sure."

"And I hope you let me visit soon, as a friend of course." He placed his hand on mine that held the trolley handle. "But then again, I hope you consider my request one day."

I swallowed and shifted from one foot to the other. I was hoping he wasn't going to mention his proposal. "Alright." I nodded and gave a brief smile.

He made no attempt to leave first, his eyes secretly pleaded for me to stay, his warm hands never left mine. It felt good to be needed, but I was done with this city.

"Got to say goodbye to my dad too."

"Yeah, sure!" He lifted his hand off me and chuckled nervously, "you do that. Bye." He placed both hands in the side pockets of his jeans and slowly turned to leave.

I pulled the suitcase and carry on bag to the other side of the sitting area while my dad stood up to meet me.

"Who's the fine young man," he asked, his gaze on Jameel's retreating figure.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes but I did it inwardly anyway. "An old friend."

"Ok." He captured me in a bear hug and I pouted like a little baby. "I don't understand why you're so adamant on leaving," he said not letting go.

I heaved a deep sigh. We'd argued over the phone about my leaving for days, nothing I said was going to make him feel good about it.

"I'm going to miss you too dad, but I'll see all of you when I'm settled." I freed myself from the long hug and began to pick my stuff, hoping to leave before he got the chance to mention my mum.

"Your mother, she's here to talk to you and if you don't listen, say goodbye." He pointed to our side where she sat with fidgeting hands and a bowed head.

"I don't have much time dad, I'll miss my flight if I stay back to talk." I stressed on the last word. "I'll let you know when I'm settled." I moved to hug him again but he moved backwards.

"It is important that you speak with her." Something about the final tone in his voice and the serious look in his eyes made my stomach churn.

He gestured with a wave of hand and she stood from the chair to join us. How long has it been? Six years?

She looked so much different-skinnier and three shades darker. Surprisingly, she wasn't wearing any expensive jewellery or flashy accessories, just a plain black jumpsuit and blue satin scarf.

"My baby," she smiled but the edges of her eyes wrinkled like in a frown. Her palms reach for my face and instinctively I jerked away.

"I'm not your baby."

A painful expression crossed her face but I wasn't going to fall for acting skills.

"Do you really have to go?"

"Like you have any right to ask that! What do you want?"

"Forgiveness." Did that word even exist in her dictionary? It didn't even sound nice rolling from her tongue.