Chapter Three

'Is the golden boy still golden'

"I didn't know your last name was Reyes," Rhiannon placed a cigarette between her lips. The sharp inhale almost making her cough. She hadn't thought about Ezekiel in years. It was easier not to. To Rhiannon Ez was just another person she lost. Another skeleton in the closet.

"You said no last names," EZ spoke softly resting his hand on her thigh. Rhiannon couldn't help but stare at his hand. It's an internal debate of whether or not she should remove it or let herself relish in the comfort, but knowing Angel he was probably glued to the window so Rhiannon carefully brushes EZ's hand away.

"I'm an idiot." She mumbles.

"So I'm guessing you're beating yourself up about this because you had something to do with me getting out of jail?" His words do not harden. They stay calm and steady as he gently places his hand on her cheek so she's looking at him, and all the young woman can do is nod. "You weren't done with your degree. How?"

"I know a lot of people. Who owed my family a lot of favours. I trusted your brother. I couldn't say no." He smiled at her , nodding every so often making her wonder what the hell was going through that mind of his.

"Would you still have done it if you knew it was for me?" EZ asks and at first Rhiannon doesn't think he's serious, but his eyes meet hers and they are pleading for the truth. For no lies, and for the first time since they met that's all she wants to give him.

"I was angry with you, but that wouldn't have made me leave you there. It's not your fault I loved you and you loved someone else." Rhiannon stands up and makes her way inside. She doesn't want to hear what he has to say. It doesn't matter anymore. He was her past, and if her mother taught her anything it was to leave the past in the past.

"Angel, my friend." Rhiannon smiles at the older man taking the dishes from his hands to dry. "That is not a story I'm ready to tell yet." He nods knowingly and continues the dishes in silence.

"You can stop looking at me like that anytime now," Rhi laughed.

"Like what?" Angel questioned handing her a glass of whisky.

"Like you did when I got the news my brother died. You've never had to fix me." She kissed his cheek before staring down at the brown liquid. The ring on her finger felt heavier than normal as she stood there with the Reyes brothers.

"He's single by the way." Angel punched EZ in the shoulder and both their faces turn red. Did she care about this new information? Rhiannon desperately wanted the answer to be no. But By the way her heart sped up every time Ezekiel looked over she feared the answer was yes. The past was knocking, and she was foolishly answering the door.