Ch 15. But I'm yours

EZ's POV

"She liked to tell me and a friend of hers that when she was around you it was like breathing fresher air." Tig spoke pulling his chair over so he was sitting across from me. I stared at the older man I could see the pain in his face as he talked about Rhi. She had told me about him to. About how he was one of the last remaining family member she had left. "I wasn't quite sure what she meant. Then I met you. Saw the way she looked at you and how you looked at her and I understood." Tig continued.
"I broke her heart really bad the first time around Tig." I blinked back tears reaching out for her hand. Her skin was cold against mine, it was always cold but this time it felt different. It was like Rhi was no longer in there. Just a hollow body laying there with tubes keeping her alive.
"You still kicking yourself about that?" Tig let out a small chuckle. "You got the girl to marry you. The girl who swore up and down to me that she would never get married because she watched how corrupt marriages became in this life. That girl was willing to give you everything even if it meant you broke her heart again." He squeezed me knee then looked over at Rhi. "She's a fucking fighter." I stared at my wife letting the tears hit her bed sheets before looking back at Tig.
"Yeah I know she is."
-
Flashback
"Why are you looking at me like that?" Rhi asked her voice was soft as she danced across the room towards me. Her dark hair was tied in a messy bun and she had a tired smile on her face as she crawled in beside me. I pulled her body as close as I could to mine and let out a long sigh.
"You're astonishing." I mumbled as I placed kisses down her spine.
"You're a fool." She giggled.
"But I'm yours." I replied.
"Mine." I didn't think I was supposed to hear that. Her voice was just above a whisper before she turned to face me more. A few tears ran down her cheek and she quickly brushed them away.
"You'll break my heart."
"Maybe. But if I do I will let you break mine in return."

-
"When I said you could break my heart in return I didn't mean like this Rhiannon." I laid my head on the bed and sighed heavily. "I wanted till death to be us getting old and wrinkled. Your hair would be grey but I would still think you were the most beautiful women in the world."
"You're a fool," The words were raspy but they came from her.
"But I'm yours," I squeezed her hand. "I need a nurse! She's awake!"