Ch 6. A home without a heart

I woke up to the smell of bacon and EZ dancing around the kitchen in his boxers. It was like a scene out a movie. The soft sounds of him humming to the radio filled my ears as I got closer.
"Nice shirt," he teased. I hugged the fabric closer to my body as I smiled up at him. "I could get used to seeing you in only that." His wink made butterflies in my stomach as he passed me a fresh cup of coffee.
"Black two sugars?" He cocked his eyebrow and I nodded in disbelief. How had he remembered such a tiny detail.
"Don't you have some sort of club duty to attend to?" I questioned staring at the clock.
"No not yet," he mused. "Right now is just for us." His voice got lower and I found myself blushing. I could get used to this feeling. It was like being a cloud so light and airy. I would call it perfect if I wasn't afraid that word would jinx it.
"I think I'm going to go to charming for a few days," I spoke through bites of bacon. "Visit some old friends." I watched carefully to see how he respond.
"Want me to come with you?" He questioned. I thought about it for a moment. Showing him the house I grew up in. Or TM and telling him the stories of how I literally grew up in the mechanics shop, but I wasn't sure if I was ready. For me it would be liking waking into a ghost town. Though the streets were still filled the people who made it my home were long gone. I hadn't been back since Jax's funeral I knew the minute I drove over the threshold I would be a mess.
"Maybe next time," I smiled. "But thank you for offering." I leaned over to peck his cheek. Would life have been like this the past few years if he never went to jail? I shook myself out of that thought. What if's were not something I should be dwelling on right now.

I felt a different kind of free as I drove my bike to charming. Worry escaped my mind and stress left my shoulders letting me enjoy the open road. When I arrived at my first stop a warm feeling washed over me. I rang the doorbell and waited a huge smile spreading across my face when the door swung open.
"As I live and breath!" Venus wrapped me in a tight hug. "Tiggy come look whose here!" She yelled inside the house.
"Sorry I haven't been back in a while," I spoke watching as Tig's eyes glossed over. He shook his head in disbelief as Venus steeped aside to let him embrace me.
"You're here now that's what matters!" He stated. "Oh god baby girl you look so much like your mother." I could hear the strain in his voice as he spoke. His hug growing tighter as we stood there.
"Come sit down tell us how you've been," Venus ushered me to the dinning room. She distributed cups of tea as I told them the not so exciting parts of my life. I listened to them gush about love and how things were finally well. It made me so happy to see them like this. Carefree and not afraid anymore. I arrived for that.
"Somethings bothering you," Tig stared at me. I squirmed in my seat. I needed to tell him about Miguel.
"I've had some trouble with a Galindo," I kept my voice low. I watched as Tigs eyes grew wide and a rage overtook them. "He is trying to protect himself from something and using me to do it." I swallowed hard. "He forced me to kill a man a few weeks ago and then came to my house again last night. He's threatening to come after everyone I care about Tiggy. I don't want him coming here and ruining what you've worked so hard for." Venus reached over to squeeze my hand. Her features softened as she looked between Tig and I.
"We will do anything for you Baby. Don't ever let yourself be controlled by a man like that. I met your mother she was a strong women who took no shit. I know you have her in you. Let it show." I stared in disbelief at her. She was right. If there was a time to embrace the Gemma in me it was now. I was a Teller for fuck sakes. We were not the kind of people you wanted to walk on.
"You can stay here as long as you need. I'll call Alvarez I'll have you on watch 24/7!" Tig boomers jumping for his phone. I stood up to stop him.
"Alvarez has my back already if I ask for it Tig." I let out a deep breath. "I won't watch another club get destroyed. I can handle this on my own."
"It's not that you can't. It's that you don't need to baby." His voice was so soft as he looked at me with a pained expression. "I tried so hard to make sure you never had to be apart of this life again. I'm sorry."
"This has nothing to do with you Tig. Don't apologize." I sighed. "It's a life I can't keep myself away from." I went on to tell Tig and Venus about the boy I had met in college. About how Angel came looking for Jax one day but found me instead and his brother I helped get realized early was that boy. About how when we met I found out why he disappeared and how I was still in love with him despite the earlier heartbreak.
"You're afraid of it aren't you?" Venus asked with a chuckle.
"Of what?" I cocked my eyebrow.
"Of loving a club member. Darling you don't have to be. Look at how well it turned out for me."

The pair took me around charming the rest of the day. Showing me the parts of my old life had changed. I avoided TM at all costs. I want quite ready to go back there. Finally I made it to the cemetery and sat myself down in front of Jax. Tears stained my face as I stared at his name not so freshly carved in stone.
"We had a deal brother." I whispered. "It would be you and I against the world. I plan to make you proud."

When I got back home it was late. The street lights lite up the freshly wet pavement as I walked up to Galindo's. My heart was racing but instead of fear it was pure adrenaline pumping through my veins. A blonde women opened the door. Her eyes flossing over with shock as she stared me down. It was someone I had tried to forget about years ago.
"Emily?" A soft smile danced across her lips as mine pursed. "I think I have the wrong address." I lost my cool Running back to my bike. How had I not known that was who he was married to? I showed up at Angels doorstep looking for easy. I was drenched from the rain but the anger boiling in me kept me warm as I stared him down.
"Did you know she was in town?" I demanded. EZ gave me a strange look.
"Who?"
"Ezekiel!" I raised my voice.
"I don't know who you're talking about Rhi," you're drenched just come inside. It felt like someone was stabbing me in the chest repeatedly as my mind wandered to the first time I met her. Her hair was darker and her features rounder as she sat on EZ's sofa. I remember keeping my cool before making a hasty exit.
"Emily." My voice was flat as I searched his face to try and figure out if he was lying. "I won't have a repeat of what we went through before."
"I didn't know." He cupped my face but I refused to look at him. "I promise she means nothing to me anymore."
"I've heard that before." I watched his face go hard at my words. I knew it was a low blow but I couldn't I couldn't do that again.
"I love you." He pulled me close to him and I let myself melt into it. Did he really? Or was I always going to be the distraction from her.