"You're the strangest stranger I've ever met," she mumbled while absentmindedly taking a step closer. 

"You should be grateful you've got a guide here. The dance ends when you circle back to your first partner, have fun," I winked at her before spinning her around, sending her over to Mr. Pierce. He's worked with my dad before. 

She's going to hate this. 

◆:*:◇:*:◆:*:◇:*:◆

"Enjoy the night, sweetie," Mrs. Pierce grinned at me before I spun her around, sending her back to her husband. 

"Thanks for the warning, I'm glad I knew I'd be dancing with grandparents," she mumbled while I placed my arms around her waist and pulled her closer. 

"Sorry," I chuckled. 

"At least Mr. Pierce knows how to dance," she said as the music slowed to a stop and we broke away. She sent Mr. Pierce a small wave before linking her arm with mine and heading to the table where her clutch was. 

"See, these parties aren't so bad with the right company," I said. 

"And that's supposed to be you?" she arched an eyebrow at me. 

I laughed, astonished how different she's been all this time. So quiet, so hushed, almost somber at the cafe. And now? I guess she opens up to people quickly. That doesn't help a person's heart. 

The rest of the night we talked, danced some more, had our dinner and then said goodbyes. 

"Thank you for keeping her company," Mr. Lockhart smiled at me. 

"My pleasure," I replied. While our dads said goodbye to each other, we sort of just stood there awkwardly. Once they headed to the exit, we followed behind. 

"Thanks for sticking with me tonight. I didn't know anybody here. What was the point of someone calling me and then not even approaching me?" she mumbled to herself. 

"Sure he did," I replied. 

"Huh?" she asked. 

"I called you," I smirked. 

"You what?" she stammered. 

"Bye, stranger.

And then we went our separate ways. 

.

.

.

.

.

Chapter four

Carter's very lovely black suit aesthetic shown by our very lovely, VERY hot, Zayn <3

I'd simp for this man.

Alex's dress crds and Carter's suit- Pinterest... good old Pinterest

Always helping with aesthetics and pictures <3

Next Chapter: Strangers

Sneak peek: There's a party this weekend at someone's house and let's just say Carter isn't so nice after all. Not in front of other people anyway. Jerk sounds about right. And so does regret. Maybe staying strangers is the best thing to do, but maybe it isn't.