27| Spotlight

Chapter 27: Spotlight (Alex's POV)

We were currently standing outside the cafeteria, Carter, Connor, Hannah, and me arguing. Hannah and Connor wanted to sit in the cafeteria. Carter and I didn't. 

"Guys, this is a horrible idea," I sighed. 

"No, it's not. It's the cafeteria and its lunch. No one's going to care and no one's going to say anything. Come on," Connor said while pulling Carter inside as Hannah did the same to me. 

My fears were coming true as we stepped in and almost everyone turned to look. "This is because of your popularity," I whispered to Carter. 

"There's a reason I was agreeing with you and asking to eat in the field," he mumbled. 

"The spotlight is on you, babe. Relish it," Hannah giggled. 

"If you want it, take it," I huffed. We quickly went and sat down at the table in the corner. "I hate this and you for making me do it," I mumbled to Hannah before focusing my gaze at the tray of food that rested in front of me. 

Hannah and Connor fell into conversation. It flowed naturally between them. With Connor, she wasn't sucking his face off every time I looked over, instead, she had a wide grin displayed while they chatted each other's ears off. 

I heard Carter sigh before he looped his arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him. I turned to him and he simply stared down at me. "Just ignore the stares. Please," he whispered. 

"I'm trying," I replied meekly. 

He opened his mouth to say something but bit down on his words. He leaned in and placed a chaste kiss on my lips, making me smile. I blushed while looking down until the two free chairs on our table were pulled back with a screech. 

We all looked and saw Abby sitting down with Hudson beside her. "Hi," she grinned. 

"Can we help you?" Hannah questioned. 

"What? We can't sit with our friends?" Hudson questioned.

"Friends?" Connor and Carter scoffed simultaneously. 

"Ouch," Hudson smirked. 

"What do you want?" I asked, aiming my question at him because I had no business with Abby. 

"What do we want, babe?" Abby smirked, turning to Hudson. 

Babe? 

I bit back a laugh and looked down to keep it from escaping. 

"Is there a problem?" she asked me. 

She has no idea who she's trapping herself with. 

"No, no problem at all. I wish you two the best," I answered. 

She narrowed her eyes at me before turning to Hudson and proceeding to play a game of tongue hockey. I rolled my eyes and continued eating while talking to Carter. We all just acted like they weren't there. She pulled away before cleaning her smeared lipstick. "Seems like you don't like seeing your ex with someone else," she said to me, smiling like a plastic barbie. 

She looks the part. She was so pretty. If only she wasn't such a bitch. 

"Seems like your words apply to him, not me," I retorted. 

She gritted her teeth before leaning back in her chair. "You know, it's okay to be jealous, Alexandria. All you have to do is say the words," Hudson leaned forward. 

"And all you have to do is set yourself on fire and get lost. Go," Carter rolled his eyes. 

Hudson rolled his eyes and leaned back. Hannah and I exchanged a certain look. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what they're trying to do. They're trying to get me to crack and take Hudson back, that way Abby has a clear path to Carter. But I'm not going to crack because being with Hudson is beyond the last thing I want.