22| Adore you

Chapter 22: Adore you (Alex's POV)

I woke up the next morning way earlier than I normally would. I got up, got dressed, grabbed my phone and keys and then left for the cafe. 

Should I get Carter on my way? No, I should just let him sleep. 

I walked into the cafe and headed to the counter. "My usual, please," I smiled. I left to get my table but stopped when I saw Hudson sitting there. At my table. 

Maybe I can get to Carter's table without him noticing. 

I took one step forward and his eyes immediately set on me. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding in and turned back to the counter. "I'll take that to go," I said. I stood there, tapping my foot against the floor, hoping my tea would hurry up. I felt someone standing right behind me and I winced internally, hoping he would just go away. 

"Hi," there was a whisper against my ear. I jumped and turned around to see Carter instead of Hudson. 

I let out a sigh of relief, "Oh, thank God it's you," I huffed. 

"Who else would it be?" His brows furrowed. 

I looked over to my table but he was gone. "Nevermind, hi," I smiled. 

"Hi," he chuckled, "Why are you standing here?" he asked. 

"I was going to grab my drink to go," I replied. 

"Why?" he frowned. 

"I didn't know how early you'd come, I thought I'd go back home," I shrugged. 

He eyed me suspiciously before letting it slide. He ordered his drink and then pulled me over to my table. 

"Can we sit there?" I asked before he could sit. 

"At my table?" he asked. I nodded and he agreed, taking me to his table. "Are you okay?" he asked. 

"Yeah," I nodded. 

He gave me a pointed look and I huffed, putting my head down on the table. "Is it your mom?" he questioned. 

"Kinda," I replied. 

"What else?" he asked. 

"Hudson was here," I cleared my throat. 

"Here? Like here in the cafe?" 

I nodded, "Right before you got here. That's why I was so-" 

"Jumpy," he finished the sentence for me. I rested my cheek on my arms and stared up at him. He mirrored my position and rested his arms on the table and his cheek on his arms. "He didn't say anything, did he?" he questioned. 

"No," I replied. I stared off into space while he fidgeted with the sleeves of my sweater. "So," I sat up while he did too, "You like me?" I smirked. 

He chuckled, putting his back down on the table. "I adore you," he smirked. 

"So, you like me," I nodded. 

"No, I adore you," he repeated. 

"Same difference. Actually, it's just a bonus. You don't kiss people you simply adore. You adore puppies, you adore kittens, you adore babies. You like me," I teased. 

"Yeah," he nodded slowly while Katy came up with our orders, delivering them to us. "I do like you," he admitted. Katy set out cups down and looked between us before shaking her head like she knew this was going to happen before walking back to the counter.