Chp. 29- I'll Let You In

After realizing how drunk I was, I told Mitch I would spend the night at Taylor's instead. Seeing how the heels I was wearing were killing me, he picked me up and carried me the rest of the way to his house with my shoes in my hand. He put me down as soon as we stepped inside his living room, helping me up the stairs. Taking off my jacket, he layed me on the bed of the guest room and covered me with the soft blankets. "Goodnight baby girl." He whispered as he leaned down to kiss my forehead. A grin spread to my face as I fell asleep.

The next afternoon, Taylor gave me some pain killers for my headache and offered to drive me home. After pulling up in the drive way, he leaned towards me, giving me a peck on the cheek. As he pulled away, he noticed the bruise under my eye. "Oh my god, what happened to you?" I tried not to make a big deal of the subject. "Some guy thought he could-"

"A guy did this to you?!" He asked practically shouting.

"Yes, but I'm fine now. My dad took care of it." I reassured him.

"I should of been there. You should of told me." He said as his jaw started to tighten.

"Well you weren't and I didn't, okay." I shot back, climbing out of his car. I didn't want to argue with him.

As he drove off, I walked inside the house, seeing my dad with his head in hands on the couch. He looked up as I closed the door behind me. He had bags under his red irritated eyes. It looks like he hasn't gotten any sleep for days. There was no whiskey bottle anywhere around, so I assumed he was sober. "Are you okay?" I asked as I sat beside him.

"Ava.." He began to speak. "I went to the doctors today.. Over the years..the alcohol has damaged my liver, destorying cells.. they told me I had pancreatic cancer.. and they don't know if it's too late to treat it.."

The words horrified as I heard the words leave my dad's mouth. He has cancer?

"No.." I croaked. My cheeks started to burn, tears already streaming from eyes. Before my dad could reach out to comfort me, I bolted up from the couch and into my room.

The thought of my dad leaving scared me. I lost my mom.. I couldn't lose my dad. Not when I needed my family the most. The news overwhelmed me, leaving me with tears pouring out of my eyes and unsteady breathing patterns. This was something I couldn't push away or build up inside. I felt as if I was going to reach my breaking point.

This is too much..

With teary eyes, I looked around the room. I couldn't do this on my own.. I rushed to my bed, grabbing my phone off my pillow. I needed Taylor. But this time, no jokes or games. This was serious. I sent him a message that only he would understand. With shaky hands, I texted him four simple words.

A: I'll let you in..

I put the phone in my lap, waiting for his reply. Almost instantly, my phone started to buzz.

T: I'm on my way.