SIX

BPD affects 10% of people in outpatient mental health treatment.

•••

After being released from the psychiatric hospital, I consistently saw a psychiatrist and a therapist. The therapist, I saw weekly, while I only saw the doctor once a month.

I began limiting what I told my therapists. I thought if I told them what actually went on in my mind, they would send me back to the hospital. So I bent the truth, making me seem happier than I was.

Manipulative.

That's one of the traits of an individual with BPD, and it's the one I hate the most.

Mostly because I worried it was true. Was I a manipulative person?

I mean, I would technically manipulate my therapists into thinking I was happier than I really was. Was that really manipulation, though?

The worst feeling was being accused of manipulation when I came out to my parents. I explained how I was diagnosed with gender dysphoria, and my father accused me of manipulating my therapists to receive that diagnosis.

I was horrified. Hurt. Confused. How could he think that? Why the hell would I choose to put myself through the pain of coming out if I wasn't really transgender?

But... his words continued to fester in my mind. Was I really just being manipulative; attention seeking? I felt... lost. My entire identity was constantly being tossed back and forth. If I wasn't really transgender, why did the thought of being a woman cause me so much pain? Was I manipulating myself into thinking it was so?

I hated it. I hated overthinking every single thing. I began to separate from myself, feeling like I wasn't even a person. It sent me into an intense panic attack, where my husband nearly took me to a crisis center.

Since leaving the hospital, I've avoided going back. Instead, if I felt unsafe with myself, I would check myself into the local crisis center. You could stay there for up to 24-hours, until you felt safe enough to return home. It was a decent place for someone to stay if they needed time to calm down.

While there, I spoke to a therapist and a social worker. They worked with me, providing me with coping exercises I could use once I returned home.

Being away from home always hurt, but it was better than staying home and accidentally hurting myself.