VIII. Pumpkin Spice

The classic thing that Michael never got about living in America was the hype over Fall. It was like the minute the temperature dropped one degree, everyone was suddenly dressed in orange and ready to shoot pumpkin spice lattes through an IV into their veins.

He kind of found it as repulsive as the girls who posted their #starbiez 🤩 on Snapchat every day right next to him.

But there was one exception of Autumn, well two actually, that he was down with. One being, of course, Halloween. Who doesn't love the spoopy holiday? But the other being oversized sweaters.

Particularly, the one Calum was sporting.

He liked them on their own because if Michael could choose to drown in sweater paws year-round he would. But Calum in one really took the cake.

He really wasn't exaggerating when he said he never wanted to see him wear anything else but a sweater again.

"Why do you insist on hurting me all the time?" Michael asked, approaching the boy.

"What?" The boy said, caught off guard.

"Excuse you, who said you could literally look so cute in a sweater that it puts anyone else in the world who even tries to wear one to shame?"

Calum laughed and blushed softly, looking away as his eyes crinkled at the compliment.

"It's just a sweater."

"It's jUsT a SweAteR- what's your last name?"

"What?"

"What's your last name?"

"Hood, wh-"

"HOOD, I SWEAR TO GOD."

"What?" Calum asked innocently, giggling a bit.

This boy really would be the death of him, Michael realized, shaking his head.

"What are we getting today?"

Calum bit his lip and pointed to a new large sign that was displayed in front of the counter.

"Pumpkin Spice? Really?"

He smiled and nodded. "You know, for someone who copies my drink choices, you sure have a lot to say. You don't have to get the same thing you know."

"I mean, it's just a bit early, isn't it? It's not even October, they just had their summer drinks last week."

"I don't really care, I would have it year-round if I could."

Michael gave him a look.

"What? It's a good flavor, you've got to admit it."

He didn't say anything to that.

"Are you getting something different?" The barista asked when Michael was looking at the menu after Calum ordered his festive~ drink.

He bit his lip before shaking his head.

Calum out a small laugh before saying, "That's what I thought."