forty three

Sunday
Ayaka's Residence

"Bottom line is, MI6 Agents have been running around Japan under the radar as of last month. They were sniffing out some leads and eventually came across our pitiful cases." Kenji explained over the phone what he had dug up for the past ten minutes. "I count a dozen, maybe even more. I looked through every airport's database and there are a lot of familiar faces. All trained killers."

As dire as our situation was, my mind was wandering somewhere else at the moment. 

Ever since yesterday, I just couldn't get my mother out of my head. Knowing she's here brought up a lot of unchecked emotions that I'd rather not get into. 

But it was there, and it wasn't going away any time soon, no matter how much I wanted it to. So instead of fighting it, I tried to remember everything that I could about her.

Eleanor Blake was, ironically, a primary school teacher back when we lived in a quaint little town in England; meaning she loved children, just not her own.

For years, she and her husband physically abused their only daughter in order to suppress the power she possessed. All they really wanted was a normal, quirkless child who didn't make the whole house levitate off it's foundations whenever she had nightmares.

I was born from two normal people, so my quirk made me a threat to their mundane way of living.

"Ayaka?" Kenji's voice on the other line derailed my train of thoughts. "Still there?"

I shook my head and resumed stuffing my clothes into my suitcase. "Yeah, sorry. What were you saying?"

"I said we'd be taking separate flights tomorrow as a precaution. Dad's taking his jet, Quincy has her own, and I got mom's. Some of our siblings flew in just this morning. What about you?"

"I'll be flying coach."

"You know you could stand to spoil yourself a little. You're practically the richest 16-year old in the world yet you act like you're still that meek little girl from the stick from back then."

I smiled, recalling the memory. "You remember?"

"You make it sound like I forgot." He sighed. "Please just take my jet, you'll be safer that way. I don't want you going in some public plane that may or may not be boarded by MI6."

"I'll be okay Kenji, don't worry. And besides, if you wanna lure out a big predator, you first gotta show vulnerability as prey right?" I smirked. "This year's hunting season will be even more fun if they get involved."

My brother clicked his tongue in annoyance. "You and your crazy ass. Alright, I trust you'll get to the lodge unharmed. Just call me up if you notice anything unusual."

"Okay. I'll see you then."

"Stay safe."

"You too." I laid back on my bed after we hung up and stared at the ceiling. With my eyes closed, I took in a deep breath and sighed.

If my memory serves me right, Eleanor met my father, Riker, at a common place where their jobs took them. Riker worked as a-

"Huh?"

I know I was young when Altair took me in, but I should at least remember what my dad did for a living, shouldn't I?

I stayed awake that night just thinking about them. My mom and my dad, and how my life used to be. I remember Eleanor whispering to me in my sleep, wishing I was never born. Riker once strangled me that I passed out. Little Ayaka, barely 5 years old, struggling to survive another day in what was said to be a loving household.