twenty

~ Ayaka's Point of View ~

The next day

"Yes, I understand." I sighed, leaning against a bookshelf with my phone against my ear.

"I raised you better than this, Ayaka. This incompetence of yours is unacceptable."

It was only a matter of time before my predicament bites me back in the ass, and here it is now.

"Forgive me, father. I know I disappointed you-"

"Disappointed doesn't even begin to cover it. You are an absolute disgrace to the family name." He snapped at me. "I will have none of this ever again, do I make myself clear?"

"Yes father."

"Good."

Once he hung up on the other line, I leaned my head back on the shelf and slid my back down to the floor.

I mean I saw this coming so it really shouldn't come as a surprise, but damn. It sucks to be scolded by that man.

I hugged my legs against me and rested my head on my knees.

Only days away from the sports fest and my head still isn't where its supposed to be. I know I should be training rather than just sulking in a dusty section of the library, but its hard not to when your own father just made you feel like shit.

Is it wrong that I didn't get upset with what happened to me back at the shower room knowing that I've been through a lot worse? That was merely child's play compared to a number of scenarios in my childhood, whereas even my own mother tried to drown me in a tub once. I guess I just didn't want to make a fuss about something that's irrelevant.

"Mind if I join you?"

I looked up to see the boy with heterochromatic eyes smiling down at me. "S-Sure, but I'm not actually studying."

"I know." He sat down beside me and sighed. "I had a rough day too, but if anything, its just a bad day- not a bad life."

"I wouldn't call it bad, its more like.. hell." I chuckled at my own pain.

Shouto nodded. "I understand. Having a father with high expectations can really mess you up."

"Tell me about it." I rested my chin on my arms but kept my eyes on him. "I guess we're on the same boat."

"Perks of being a goddamn elite, I guess."

We both laughed at his little joke.

My day started off as somewhat chaotic with all my unfinished work and father's dissing session, but its good to have refreshing people like him around.

"To tell you the truth, I was actually watching you from afar and remembered that I didn't really get your name. So I came here to ask but then I overheard the phone call and.." He paused for a moment and forced a sad smile. "Thought you could use some company."

Even though we were both strangers, this boy didn't even hesitate to tell me his real and sincere motive upon talking to me, and I couldn't help but smile at his concern and clean intention.

"I'm Ayaka Blake." I offered my hand out for him to shake and he did so gently. "Sorry it took so long for me to say it."

He shrugged. "I'm a pretty patient person."

"And I don't doubt it." I grinned, my spirits finally lifting. "Well its nice meeting you again, but I'm afraid I have to go. I still have to train and then finish my partner's costume for the auction."