9

~TODUN~

I sat on the bed and folded my cloths neatly into my box, the ones my Mum bought for me four days ago. My mum came into the room with a nylon bag which she placed beside me and then left to the living room. She hadn't been talking for the past few days, her eyes held emotions that dictated that she must have been crying.

I peeped into the nylon bag and saw two new sandals that were in it. I took them out and wore them on my feet one after the other. Feeling very excited with them I wrapped them back into the nylon and tucked it into my box. I took my files and placed it on the whole lot ,there after I zipped up the bag.

I am really going to miss this place, I muttered as I looked round the room and at the bed with it's tattered clothes. I walked into the living room met my Mum who was dabbing her face with her wrapper. I walked to her and placed my hand on her back.

"Maami(my mother), are you crying?" I asked her while she tried turning her face but burst into tears.

"Morountodun, I can't imagine life without you for months." She sobbed.

"I will always come back to check on you. We will always have holidays and apart from that, four years will soon be over." I tried pacifying her while hot tears streamed down my face.  She engulfed me in a warm hug and cried the more.

"Promise me you will try your best to be the best, don't...." She cleared her throat.

" ...that you won't forget the child of whom you are."

"I promise Mum." I replied in a croaky voice.

"And don't be intimidated by anyone, sho ti gbo? (Are you listening)"

"Motigbo ma (I have heard you ma)." I replied while she released the hug.  She held my hands and looked me over.

"When did I give birth to you that you have grown to this level." She smiled and touched my cheek while I giggled.

"You have never disappointed me and I am sure you aren't going to do that this time. I will call you time to time. Call me in the morning before you go for your lectures. Don't forget God as well. He will always be with you." She said and pulled me into another warm embrace.

"I will miss you a great deal." She added

"I will too Mum." I tightened the hug.

"Make sure you cook with the stove now, we have graduated from wood, be careful when you go to the market and don't hesitate to call me when there is anything." I said as we walked back to the room.

"Look at this girl giving instructions as if she is talking to her child. Young lady you must have forgotten that I got to this world before you." She said playfully, while I laughed at how she demonstrated it.

I would really miss her even though I am acting as if I am not to. I knew I was going to miss sleeping beside her,I was going to miss everything she does for me.

I stared at her and smiled as she opened my box and looked through it.

***

Getting a bus at the motor- park was not as easy as I thought since I had luggages to carry. They included my box, my mattress and another bag that contained my food stuffs and other things that couldn't fit into the box. I also had my school bag strapped to my back.

I poked my head out of the window and listened to my Mum dishing out instructions as the driver ignited the bus and we drove off. I waved to her till I lost sight of her. I withdrew my head into the bus and wiped my eyes that was clouded with tears. I sniffed at intervals as I felt the urge to burst into tears.