Eight

August

"Alsina, wassam, woa'." Derrick walked in the locker room, dappin' me off.

"Wahnn!" I replied, quickly dappin' him.

"Say, you heard about that homicide case they been workin' on out in da' city."

"Bruh, which one?" I gave him a look as I tucked my uniform shirt inside of my pants, buttonin' them them fixin' my belt.

"Right. But some la' broad killed ha' baby daddy and she supposedly onna' run wit' ha' daughter."

"Word." I asked with widened eyes. "Whea' dat' happened?"

"Ova' in da' St. Thomas, they said she called the police saying she found him molestin' 'dey la' girl and she went for a gun to protect da' both of 'em and he tried to fight ha' for it and the shit went off but by the time they got 'dea it was just his body an' 'da gun."

"Ain't 'dat some shit. Sad, bruh."

I shook my head as I fixed my badge and closed my locker. I dapped D off again and left the locker room, goin' to general population to get da' crazy broads ready ta' eat.

Another day, another dollar.

Thankfully this time I can keep to myself.

**

I sighed as I walked in the do' and threw my keys on the side table, droppin' my bag and kickin' my shoes off there, too. I locked all da' locks and started strippin' as I walked to my room.

I threw my clothes inna' hamper and fell back on my bed, arms and legs spread out. It felt nice to come home to peace and quiet, and cleanliness.

I'd lie to say I wasn't missin' Yas tho'.

She was foul but I cared fa' ha'. I really believed we could have worked in some way. Who am I kiddin' I didn't love her anymo' but a nigga is lonely.

I closed my eyes, stackin' my arms on my forehead as I began to slowly fall asleep.

--
"I need you." She spoke softly lookin' me desperately in my eyes.

"Was' up? Was' wrong, mama?" I touched her cheek, usin' the pad of my thumb to dry her tears.

"I'on know how ta' do this. I'an made fa' dis. Dis ain't my lifestyle."

"What are you doin'? Ya' talkin' in circles, baby."

"I need you. Baby needs you." Tears started waterfallin' down her face and she slowly drifted away from me.

I tried to catch her but the more I advance towards her the further she was to reach and see.

"Kai! Kai! Kaimana!" I repeatedly called out but she just continued to fade away and all I heard were her cries along with the soft whimpering and cry of a little child.

--
I woke up in a cold sweat after yet another weird dream. Besides invovlin' Kaimana they've been off as fuck. I have no idea what any of 'em mean.

Lately, it's been her and a la' girl and every time she's tellin' me she needs me. The la' girl sits in a corner cryin' and pleadin' for help as best as she could which isn't much since she looks no older than two.

As fa' Kai, she looks distraught every time. Like her world's endin' or some shit.

I found myself goin' ta' Winn-Dixie but they tell me she ain't been around fa' days.

I don't know what this shit is but I gotta figure out what all of this means.

**
I hopped out of my car, closin' the door and lockin' it. I was at my mama's house to visit her like I do at least twice a week.

When I was walking up to the sidewalk out of the corner of my eye I noticed a girl with curly hair kneeling to open a pack of crackers for a little girl with big, curly hair just like hers.

I got a closer look and realized it was Diamond.

"Kaimana!" I called out to her and she looked up, I barely recognized who she was.

"Hi." She told me, clearly forcing a smile.

"Was' up? I been lookin' fa' you."

"Me?" She jumped up frantically. "L-l-lookin' for me why?" She stuttered, lookin' around nervously.

"Jus' been thinkin' bout 'cha." I replied, confused.

"Oh."

Kai looked relieved.

"Yeah, you changed your hair. It's purple."

"Oh, yeah, I just needed something new. Purple's a nice color."

"Mah-me." I heard the little girl call out to her.

"Yes, baby." She looked down, pickin' up her daughter.

That's the little girl from the dream.

"Dis ya la' girl?"

"Yeah." She smiled, lookin' at me then her as she laid her head on her shoulder. "Say, hi, Dy'mond."

Instead of saying anything she cuddled under Kai more so I reached my hand out to pinch her cheek but she flinched and squealed as I did.

I quickly drew my hands back.

"I-I'm sorry. She doesn't do well with strangers."

Kaimana spoke becoming jittery again.

"I hea' ya."

I stroked my chin, studyin' her facial expressions and body language. Somethin' was off and I needed to know what. I was feelin' like she really needed my help but I didn't wanna sound crazy and tell ha' bout my dreams.

The look in her eyes was sad and weary, she didn't look like her usual self, if that was possible.

"You gon' be roun' in 'bout'a hour?" I asked.

"Maybe. I don't know, why?"

"I wanna take you -- and Dy'mond somewhea' to eat and talk."

"Um, okay. Call me, if you don't see me."

I nodded and handed her my phone, she put her number in and handed it back to me, quickly smilin' before walkin' off.

******
I know I update Hazel more than this book but I'm tryna take my time with it, I want it to be more than perfect, feel me?

I'm definitely working on longer chapters, too or multiple ones at a time.

I'll type another for yal for later. (:

ilove yal. P.Y.T. Holitdiiiiiine.

Be blessed.

Nee