Three

Kaimana

"Yes, yes that's one.. Now two.. Three.." I sat on the floor with Dy'mond showing her how to count and write her numbers.

She's two years old so it's the perfect time to start.

I need her to be as intelligent and as smart as possible so she doesn't grow up to be dumb like me.

I shook my head and continued counting out numbers attempting to show her how to count them out. For a while it was working but when you have the attention span of a toddler, crayons are meant for other things.

Like writing on the wall.

"Dy'mond! Stop!" I got up, gently pulling the crayon from her hand.

I lead her over to the kitchen and placed her in her high chair.

"You ready to eat, Baby?" I asked her, securing the tray table before going over to the stove to check my pots.

Dinner tonight was real simple but it was Jay's favorite. Jambalaya pasta, blackened chicken breast, string beans and corn bread.

My vegetable was finally done so I put some in a small container to cool them off for Baby.

I fixed a plate for Jayden and sat it to the side, covering it then began fixing one for Dy'mond.

I gave her, her plate, quickly blessed her food with her and sat there with her as she began to eat.

Baby was 'bout finished her food and Jayden still wasn't home. My stomach rumbled for the third time and I groaned in frustration.

I wanted to eat so badly but God forbid I eat before he got home or if I ate too much. He would throw a fit and some fists. Any other night I may have toughened up but tonight I was too weak for a fight with him, let alone an argument.

Dy'mond reached her plate out to me indicating she wanted more so I got up and fixed her another plate.

I gave it to her and she wasn't even halfway through before I heard the front door.

Finally.

I could hear Jayden throw his keys down and kick his shoes off then I saw him appear walking through the living room.

"Hi, Jayden." I plastered on the same fake smile he could never seem to see through.

"Hey, babe." He kissed my forehead. "Hey, Baby."

"How was your day? Food is on the counter."

"It was a'ight." I heard him behind me searching for a fork then picking up his plate and walking over to the table.

"Did you eat?" He asked me, digging right into his food and stuffing his mouth.

"Nope. I was waitin' on you to get in the house."

"Oh.. Stand up." He instructed me, stuffing his mouth then setting his fork down.

I stood up and he pulled me over to him by my hand. He inspected my body and turned me around looking me up and down.

"Good. You don't need to anyways, you gained weight." Jayden told me harshly.

My face instantly became numb and I turned away from him so no tears would fall in front of him. In his mind that's me giving him a reason to give me a real reason to cry.

I dried my eyes and began finding containers to put the food up.

The food I came home from a 14-hour shift at work to cook.

The food my money paid for.

The food with which I slaved over a hot stove to make sure he and our daughter could eat.

But I can't taste because I'm gaining weight and I'll be too fat for him.

Abuse isn't just physical.

I was cleaning the stove off when I heard a plate hit the floor.

"Dy'mond!" I heard Jayden yell and I quickly turned to rush to her side.

"Calm down. Finish eating, I'll take care of it." I told him, grabbing Baby as I began picking up her mess.

"Next time you do it, I'ma beat yo' ass." He threatened her and I felt myself tense up.

"No." I simply told him, placing the plate in the sink.

"Bitch, what?" He threw his fork down, walking over to me.

"I-I-I said no." I stuttered for a bit and swallowed hard before finally mustering the courage. "You're not gonna hit her."

"So, I'll just hit you." He told me through gritted teeth, using his finger to mush my forehead aggressively causing me to stumble a bit.

"That's fine." I adjusted Dy'mond on my hip, holding her closely. "But you won't lay your hands on my Baby."

I told him those words in the most demanding way I could while still being respectful.

He has never hesitated to hit me while I was holding Dy'mond or in front of her so I was trying to not push my luck.

I brought Dy'mond to give her a quick bath before putting her to bed for the night so I could finish cleaning up.

Once she was washed off, she was tired as hell. Her eye fought her to stay open.

I said her prayers with her and a prayer over her before laying her on her bed. I placed a kiss on her forehead and tucked her in her sheets and covers.

"You're my perfect jewel. Mommy will always protect you." I whispered to her, kissing her once more.

That was something I told her every night before I left her room.

It was the truth. Even when I couldn't protect or fend for myself I would protect her, with my life.

That's the diamond that I deserve and I have to guard her with my life.

I went back to the front of the apartment and Jayden was sprawled out on the couch watching tv.

I quickly walked past him and went to the kitchen to finish cleaning before he could find something to say to me.

I was almost finished the kitchen and my stomach was bothering me for the fifth time since I've been in here.

I was starving.

I looked back and he was still aimlessly watching the game so I tried my luck.

I quietly grabbed a fork and opened a container to grab a few bites of food.

Then I felt a hand grasp my neck.

"Bitch, what did I say?"

******
ilove yal! P.Y.T. Holitdiiiiiine!
Be blessed
Nee