Chap 6: A Beautiful Night

"I like the purple tshirt with the tiger on it. You should wear that." Dani said. I looked at her like she was crazy.

"Uhm, no. I wanna look good. It's not a pajama party. It's a date." I said, going through the clothes in my closet.

"Well, shit. I say let her see how you really look." Dani said, sitting down on my bed and getting on her phone. I settled on a black crop top, blue skinny jeans, and blue and black Jordan 1s.

"How do I look?" I asked Dani. She looked up at me and smacked her lips.

"The fuckin same! You might as well should've worn the tiger shirt! At least put on some jewlery. Gold." She said. I rolled my eyes and went to my jewlery box, pulling out some small gold hoops, a thin gold necklace with a golden rose pendant on it and a gold rope bracelet.

"Alright. I'm ready. I think." I said.

"Your phone and keys, silly." Dani said, getting up and walking out of my room. I closed my bedroom door and followed her to the front of the house. I grabbed my phone and keys off of my coffee table and put them in my jean pockets. Dani went to the kitchen and started raiding my cabinets.

"Oh sure. Help your damn self." I said.

"Thanks love. I'll house sit for you while you're out." She said, winking playfully at me and grabbing a bag of Doritos.

"You mean you're gonna wait here til I get back so you can hear about how it went?" I asked.

"Of course that's what I mean. Where's she at anyway?" Dani said, walking passed me with a jug of my Minute Maid fruit punch. She flopped down on the couch and turned the tv on, flipping through the channels.

"I don't-" I was interrupted by my phone vibrating in my pocket. I took it out and it was a text from Mani.

Mani
I'm outside. Would you like me to come up?

China
No it's okay. I'm coming down.

Mani
Alright.

"Well, here I go. Be back later Dan." I said, going to the door. She just mumbled something, her mouth full of chips. I walked down the stairs and outside into the crisp, cool night. I immediately regretted not grabbing a jacket. I stopped in my tracks when I saw her car.

"Damn." I said to myself. I continued my walk to the car and before I could grab the handle to open the door, the door slid upward by itself. I smiled to myself and got inside, putting my seatbelt on before looking up at a smiling Normani.

"I see you, tryna show out. I'll admit, I'm impressed. This is a nice ass car. What is it?" I asked her. She took her phone from her pocket and typed something in. She turned her phone to me and it was a picture of her car. Ferrari Laferrari Aperata, 2.2 million- 2.2 MILLION DOLLARS?

2 MILLION DOLLARS?

"Oh shit

"Oh shit." I said, making her chuckle. Her little laugh was adorable. She started the car up and began to drive, all her focus on the road. I looked at her attire and it was extremely laid back. She was wearing a black, silk tracksuit, her hair still slicked back into a ponytail, diamond earrings in that were glistening as we passed by street lights.

"So, I agreed to this date

"So, I agreed to this date. That means you have to tell me why you don't speak, Mani." I said. She huffed and nodded. We rode in comfortable silence until we came upon a field that smelled of freshly mowed grass. I could see some light in the distance, but I couldn't make out what it was. She pulled off the road and into the grass and parked. She pressed a button and both of the doors went up so we could get out. I'd never been in a car that had suicide doors. We stepped out and she pressed a button on her keys, making the doors go down. She came around the car and grabbed my hand, making me smile. She was really warm, I could feel her body heat even though our hands were the only things touching. I looked at her and she had a worried expression on her face.

"What's wrong?" I asked her, as if she'd speak to me. She just shook her head. As we got closer to where I'd seen the lights, I noticed that it was a picnic set up. There were lights strewn around the blanket and a basket waiting in the middle of it. I looked up and the moon was shining brightly, almost full. She let go of my hand and we sat down on the blanket.  She went in the basket and pulled out a tupperware container. When she opened it, it was breakfast food, still warm. Cheese eggs, bacon and pancakes. She pulled another tupperware container out and some utensils, syrup and butter.

"This is because I never got to eat any of your breakfast, right?" I asked her. She looked at me and shook her head yes, smirking and taking a bite of her pancakes. I took a bite of mine and looked up at the sky. Here she was, a mute, insanely rich and beautiful woman. And yet I felt like I couldn't really talk to her. I wasn't going to let her mutism stop me though. I can tell she likes me and I like her back. So if I want to get to know her, I need to know the truth about why we can't communicate in a regular way.

"Normani, it's beautiful out here, very peaceful. And I gotta say, this is the quietest date I've ever been on." I said. She snickered and turned to look at me. She moved closer to me and I felt myself stiffen up. She grabbed a napkin from the basket and wiped some syrup from my chin.

"Thank you." I said questioningly. She was nervous.

"I'm nervous too, you know?" I said. She looked at me with a shocked expression. Was she surprised I knew what she was feeling? She smiled at me then grabbed my hand. With her free hand, she grabbed her phone. She handed to me and it read,

I promised. So here's why I don't speak...
*********